This overnight oatmeal recipe is everywhere on the internet. For those of us who love our hot oatmeal, it may be hard to adjust our thought process to eating it cold. This recipe is absolutely delicious, however, and it well worth the try. Add to that the fact that it’s easy to make and healthy and it may become your favorite!
One of the wonderful things about this recipe is that you can make it differently every single time, dependent upon the fruit you have on hand. Just make the basic recipe and add to it those fruits and flavorings that you can easily grab from your refrigerator or those that become your favorite.
The basic recipe below can be the basis for any fruit pairings. It’s high in fiber, protein and calcium. Add berries or other fruit to that and you will have a very healthy way to start your day!
Don’t skip the chia seeds! Yup, they’re the cha cha cha-chia seeds from those advertisements on TV. Little did you know that they are packed full of nutrients and have no taste so you can add them to anything! Chia seeds, readily available at most any place you can purchase vitamins, are inexpensive and they are a great source of:
- Omega 3, omega 6 and omega 9 – all important for brain performance, reducing inflammation (the basis for all disease), lowering cholesterol, etc.
- Fiber – essential for digestive health and making you feel full – perfect for a weight loss program
- Phosphorus, magnesium, manganese and potassium – all good for a healthy heart
Overnight Oatmeal Recipe
Ingredients for Overnight Oatmeal:
- ½ cup oatmeal (not instant – whole oats are best)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peaches, mangos, etc. (or any other fruit)
- 2 tsp. honey
- Dash of cinnamon
- ½ - 2/3 cup vanilla almond milk
Directions for making Overnight Oatmeal:
Put the oatmeal, yogurt, chia seeds, ½ cup of a fruit of choice, honey, and cinnamon in a 1 – ½ cup container with lid. Add milk until it is full. Place the lid on the container and shake the ingredients to mix them. Put it in the refrigerator and let it sit all night. In the morning you will have a delicious, healthy breakfast.
You can make several of these ahead and keep them in the refrigerator.
(adapted from theyummylife.com)
Another easy oatmeal recipe:
Baked oatmeal casserole – delicious!
Click on “SUBSCRIBE” above!