Man can't live on bread alone, but honestly, I think this woman can. I love bread; homemade yeast rolls, pita bread, bagels and English Muffins, not to mention homemade biscuits (and white country gravy, of course.) But, English Muffins, pita bread and flatbread are the least caloric of the breads, in general, making them a favorite of healthy eaters. Try topped with pesto or hummus for an unbelievable taste treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon fast-acting dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (about 100°F.)
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
1. Combine flours, yeast and 2 teaspoons of salt in a large bowl. Add water and stir until moistened. With paddle attachment of stand mixer, beat for about 60 seconds, stopping halfway through to scrape bottom and sides of bowl. Cover; let rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size and has a sponge-like appearance. (This dough will keep for 1 week ahead if covered and refrigerated.)
2. Oil a large baking sheet. Flour your hands and work quickly, handling dough as little as possible to pat out the dough to roughly cover the bottom of the baking sheet, lightly sprinkling with flour if it begins to stick (dough should feel soft and smooth but not sticky). Cover with clean towel; let stand in warm place 40 minutes or until dough is slightly puffy (dough won’t rise much but will continue rising in oven).
3. Sprinkle the ¼ teaspoon of salt on the dough (optional) and place on bottom oven rack for 20 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cut into 24 pieces; serve warm or at room temperature.
Chef's Note: This dough is great topped with feta or other goat cheese, chopped tomatoes and olives; just put topping on and pop it in a 300 degree oven until toppings are warm. And divided into 24 pieces, it runs about 120 calories per.
Did this article leave you hungry for more?
Simply click on the SUBSCRIBE button here or at the top of the page to have Linda's articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox, totally cost and spam FREE.
Email Linda at email@example.com. And please feel free to post your comments below.
Find Linda on:
Product Review Disclaimer:
This product was sent to us at no cost.
We were under no contract or obligation to write a review or to make it a positive one if we do.
Our reviews are our opinion only.
We do not make any money on any of the products we review.