Cooking sugar free for the holidays can be challenging, but not with this easy, healthy pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe to guide you.
Making this recipe sugar free doesn't mean removing the flavor, especially when you add in the festive pumpkin and spice that reminds all of us that the holidays have arrived. Not only is this a fantastic cookie recipe, but the batter can be made into small loaves or even a cake.
About the healthy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
This is an old recipe that I have modified so many times that I cannot remember where it originated from. What inspired me to transform it is the growing epidemic from our sugar consumption. Trading out a few simple ingredients will transform our familiar holiday recipes into healthier versions. These sugar free cookies give you a healthy version of chocolate chip cookies with a pumpkin twist.
Rochelle’s healthy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (sugar free)
Preheat oven to 350°
Beat until combined:
1 cup Splenda
½ stick of softened butter
3 tablespoons agave*
Mix in until blended:
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin
1 egg/or egg substitute*
1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla
Combine and stir into wet mixture gradually:
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
Add and gently mix:
1 cup sugar free chocolate chips*
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
• Drop by teaspoons onto sprayed baking sheet.
• Bake 11 to 13 minutes.
• Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
• Store at room temperature in airtight container for up to one week.
• Try a healthy holiday protein smoothie to curb the sugar cravings.
• Agave* is a low-glycemic burning sweetener.
• It is important to read labels and identify where sugar hides.
• Using *egg substitute or egg whites will lower the cholesterol in this recipe.
• Although *whole wheat flour makes this recipe denser, white flour turns to sugar once it enters the bloodstream.
• If you cannot find *sugar free chocolate chips, chop up a sugar free dark chocolate candy bar.
• Always remember to consult your physician if you have special diet or health needs.
And from my home to yours: Another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.