Do you talk about health to your children or do you model healthy habits? Back to school is the perfect time to show how tasty healthy foods are starting with the lunch box.
The daily peanut butter sandwich isn't bad, but it gets boring and its not a complete meal. Yes you can create a balanced meal in the lunch box with a little planning. Here are some easy lunch box foods that a high in nutritional value and big on taste:
- Small carrots, celery and bell peppers with side container of hummus
- Have an "inside out sandwich": wrap lettuce leaf around the turkey and cheese
- Use leftover rice as basis for rice salad with chopped veggies
- Freeze a fruit smoothie (with extra protein powder) and place in lunchbox. By time for lunch it will be thawed slightly and ready to drink
- Foil the "bread crust peelers" (who lose part of the sandwich filler) by using round breads
- Add two boxed juices or smaller thermos with fruit juice or lemonade. Read the labels carefully as many boxed juices have little juice and an overload of sugar
- Grapes, oranges, raspberries. . .any fresh fruit in season is the best dessert.
These healthy lunch ideas provide maximum nutrition with useable calories rather than the bulk that junk foods and fatty foods leave behind. By the way, healthy lunches are not just for the kids - - - Mom and Dad need to also bring a healthy lunch as way to resist the fast food options and sugar loaded desserts found around many offices.