The health benefits of wheatgrass are impressive. However, incorporating wheatgrass into a healthy eating regiment takes some effort. Realizing the enumerable range of benefits it provides to the body, you'll be happy you took some time to familiarize yourself. The answer may simply be purchasing wheatgrass powder for your smoothies.
Not only is wheatgrass a spectacular choice for dietary health but this smoothie recipe teams up with tomatoes to incorporate lycopene - which is known to ward off depression. What a great way to increase mental and physical health in one glass!
Additional reasons to consider making Wheatgrass a part of your healthy lifestyle:
- Vitamin A aids in increased white blood cells to fight viruses
- 1/2 teaspoon of *wheat-grass powder means you receive 100% daily value of vitamin K
- Nutrients found in Vitamin K stimulates production of adenosine triphosphate important for energy and repair to both muscle and brain cells
- Increase in Vitamin K (especially for many women) can reduce fatigue after a few weeks
- Chlorophyll can lower appetite stimulating hormone known as leptin
- Chlorophyll can increase the appetite satiating hormone known as cholecystokinin
Directions for a Wheat-grass Garden Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- 1 pear
- 1 (11 oz can) tomato vegetable juice
- 2 large lettuce leaves
- 1 - 2 ½ t. wheatgrass powder
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Add additional water to achieve desired consistency.
- Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
- CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
- For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
- Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes..
- The Dirty Dozen: The following foods are considered to be most contaminated with chemicals. It is especially important to consider eating the following foods in organic form: potatoes, spinach, apples, strawberries, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, hot peppers, sweet bell peppers, nectarines (imported), and peaches
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
- Trader Joe's
- Boise Co Op
- Whole Foods Market
- Brown Box Organics
- The Organic Store Locator
- For more information about the benefits of wheat-grass, click on the link in this sentence.
- Learn more about fiber benefits by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence
- Click on the Vitacost link in this sentence for an *organic wheat-grass powder prices around $20 for 8.5 oz of super-fine powder that is excellent for smoothies.
- For more information on dirty dozen foods, click on the link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with organics and nutrition in mind.