Healthy smoothies can aid in the prevention of digestive system diseases.
Because the body requires a tremendous amount of work to break down food particles for absorption, it may become irritated when stressed or overworked. There are many healthy foods to eat that can help correct or reduce irritation.
The Aloe Vera plant has natural anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties known to kill viruses or bacteria that lead to stomach issues. It also is known to have a soothing effect both topically and when ingested.
The Out with Aloe Smoothie joins up with other high fiber foods, so you can naturally, gently “flush” your digestive system.
Directions for an Out with Aloe Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 1 cup watermelon
- gel from one 2” chunk of aloe leaf
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut water (or combination of both)
- 4-5 ice-cubes (optional)
• Add additional liquid to achieve desired consistency.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• The Organic Store Locator
• Learn more about the digestive system by clicking on the link in this sentence.
• Learn more about the benefits of fiber by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.