With summer right around the corner, it's berry smoothie time!
A kaleidoscope of fresh, organic color is beginning to emerge onto the scene at the local stores and farmers markets. These little berry-beauties remind us to consider choices for better health.
Go ahead! Throw that salmon on the BBQ for some great Omega 3’s, but pair it up with a Berry Excited Summer Smoothie as a healthy, sugar-free dessert alternative tonight. Your body will love you so much, you'll consider replacing tomorrow's breakfast with another smoothie!
Remember, you can always add a handful of greens for additional nutrition and fiber.
Directions for a Berry Excited Summer Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut water (or combination of both)
- 4-5 ice-cubes (optional; frozen fruit is also a good addition)
• Add additional liquid to achieve desired consistency.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods you've aided in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
• Boise Co-Op
• Whole Foods Market
• Brown Box Organics
• The Organic Store Locator
• Learn more about the digestive system by clicking on the link in this sentence.
• Learn more about the benefits of fiber by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.