Juicing is a great DIY project, time saver, and fast track to a healthy life style.
On average a bottle of fresh juice runs between $5-8 each. Instead, consider visiting your garden patch or purchasing organic grown produce. This not only saves money but you’ll feel great about the decisions to improve your health.
Blending or juicing has several benefits. One is that you are introducing several vitamins into your body for overall added health. Another is the enzymes that will provide the body with the energy and endurance necessary for top performance.
Try this smoothie as a great breakfast alternative that is packed full of vitamins A and C.
Directions for a Good Start Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- 4 steamed carrots, cooled
- 1 apple, seeds removed
- ½ cup parsley
- ¼ cup coconut water
• Add additional water to achieve desired consistency.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• The Dirty Dozen: The following foods are considered to be most contaminated with chemicals. It is especially important to consider eating the following foods in organic form: potatoes, spinach, apples, strawberries, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, hot peppers, sweet bell peppers, nectarines (imported), and peaches
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
• Boise Co-Op
• Brown Box Organics
• The Organic Store Locator
• Trader Joe’s
• Whole Foods Market
• Learn more about the benefits of vitamin C by clicking on the link in this sentence.
• Learn more about fiber benefits by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence
• For more information on dirty dozen foods, click on the link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with organics and nutrition in mind.