Supplementing raw foods with juicing or blended (smoothie) drinks are great ways to achieve the recommended 5 to 13 daily servings of vegetables and fruits. Additionally, its a great way to get kids excited about eating their veggies.
Introducing vitamin C into your body for overall added health is easy when you change your diet to include smoothies.
Detox your digestive system with this delicious beet smoothie that not only gently flushes your digestive system, but contains potassium, magnesium, and plenty of vitamins A and C.
Directions for a Beet Cantaloupe Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- 1 large cooked, cooled beet
- 1 cup cantaloupe
- ¼ cup coconut water
- Ice cubes (optional)
• Add additional water to achieve desired consistency.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• The Dirty Dozen: There are several foods more apt to be contaminated with chemicals. It is especially important to consider eating the following in organic form to avoid ingesting additional toxins: potatoes, spinach, apples, strawberries, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, hot peppers, sweet bell peppers, nectarines (imported), and peaches
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
- Boise Co-Op
- Brown Box Organics
- The Organic Store Locator
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods Market
- Learn more about fiber benefits by clicking on the WebMD link in this sentence.
- Learn more about vitamin C benefits by clicking on the link in this sentence.
- For more information on dirty dozen foods, click on the link in this sentence.
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with organics and nutrition in mind.