Intro: A healthy cole slaw recipe just makes a barbecue. If you're wondering how to make cole slaw, you might want to give this recipe a try. It's a variation on the classic cabbage cole slaw recipe. It's made from Brussels sprouts, a relative of the cabbage. It's great served with your barbecued meat or to take along as lunch in a jar. Included with this article is an additional Oriental cole slaw recipe and suggestions for sides to go with the BBQ.
- Summer pasta salad recipes for cookouts, parties and picnics + pasta guide
- How to make unique DIY gifts: The 20+ best food gifts for dad
The Best Barbecue Slaw Recipes Start With Fresh Ingredients
I was immediately intrigued by this healthy cole slaw recipe, because like many people my experience with this salad has been limited to the cabbage variety.
It appeals to me for several reasons. Aside from just being plain good for you, it can take its rightful place among the best BBQ slaw recipes I've seen and tasted. In fact, with its mix of Brussels sprouts, red onions, walnuts and blueberries, it's one of the best slaw recipes I've tried. I'll bet you think so, too.
How to Make Homemade Cole Slaw With Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients for This Easy Cole Slaw:
- 1 lb fresh Brussels sprouts, slice thinly, trim the ends
- ¼ c. walnuts, chopped
- ½ c. red onion, finely chopped
- ½ c. blueberries, dried
- 2½ Tbsp canola oil
- 2½ Tbsp vinegar (cider)
- 2 Tbsp sugar, granulated
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Instructions for the Barbecue Slaw Recipe:
- Put the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix them thoroughly.
- Put into the refrigerator and keep them there for at least 30 minutes before serving the healthy cole slaw recipe.