Health Benefits of Blueberries
Eating fresh fruits of all kinds is very important to our everyday and long-term health. One of the most important of these fruits in blueberries. Blueberries are one of the most anti-oxidant rich foods known to man and eating them often can go a long way in helping people maintain their health.
They are often known as a super food due to their extremely high nutritional value and long list of healthy vitamins and minerals. A list of all of the health benefits of blueberries is to long to cover in just one article but below we have included ten of the most significant benefits of eating blueberries regularly.
In order to get these benefits to the fullest we recommend that you grow your own blueberries. By growing blueberries on your own you should be able to afford it better since blueberries can be quite expensive. Growing your own blueberries also allows you to get fully organic blueberries that are guaranteed to be free of any harmful pesticides or chemicals.
Now onto some the health benefits of blueberries…
1) Blueberries help people to boost their immune systems. This is because they offer very high levels of vitamin C. Getting enough vitamin C is vital to anyone that wants to keep their immune system working at the highest level. Other important nutrients that are found inblueberries to help with overall health include manganese, vitamin A, b-complex, copper, selenium, zinc, and iron. All of these nutrients combined help people to be more healthy and as a result their bodies are more resistant the common cold, flu, and other viral infections.
2) Blueberries help reduce people’s risk for aged related diseases. Blueberries are loaded with a ton of anti-oxidants that have been scientifically proven to help people reduce their risk for cataracts, dementia, glaucoma, alzheimers, and many other diseases.
3) Blueberries can help reduce people’s risk for cancer. As said earlier, blueberries are loaded with a ton of anti-oxidants. One of these anti-oxidants which is known as Anthocyanin is known for helping to reduce free radicals that are a known contributor to cancer. Havingblueberries regularly to get enogh anti-oxidants can go a long way in helping someone avoid cancer.
4) Blueberries have been proven to reduce people’s risk for heart disease. Having a regular and consistent diet that includes blueberries has been proven to help people reduce their risk for heart disease and even reduce belly fat. The nutrients in blueberries along with their low fat and low sugar all work together to help people reduce their tyglycerides and cholesterol and in turn low their risk for a heart attack.
5) Blueberries help to promote urinary tract health. Eating blueberries regularly is an excellent way to support a healthy urinary tract and avoid a urinary tract infection. Beyond this blueberries are so beneficial at supporting a healthy urinary tract that in some cases blueberries juice is actually prescribed by doctors to help people get over a UTI .
6) Blueberries have been shown in recent studies to help slow the deteriation of vision. As people get older their visions tends to get worse and worse. Blueberries, with their high concentration of anthocyanosides have been shown to help slow this deteriation of vision.
7) Blueberries help promote healthy digestive systems. Blueberries are high in sodium, copper, fructose, and acids that all help improve digestion. They are also high in fiber which helps to prevent constipation.
8) Blueberries allow people to fulfill their fruit needs without consuming as much sugar. Everybody needs to get 3-4 servings of fruit each day. The problem with this is that fruits contain a lot of sugar. Blueberries however are really low in sugar in comparison to other fruits. A cup of blueberries has roughly 80 calories and they are very low on the glycemic index. As a result blueberries are a better choice than many other fruits.
You can see from the benefits listed above that blueberries are extremely healthy and do a lot to help people maintain their health, not only right now but throughout their lives. If you don’t eat a lot of blueberries then it may be time for a change. The easiest way to do this is to purchase and plant your very own blueberry plants.
Another option of course is to simply buy them from your supermarket. Regardless of what you chose we highly recommend that you begin enjoying the health benefits of blueberries by adjusting your diet to include more of them.
Refreshing Blueberry Smoothie
* 1 Scoop of Vanilla Protein powder
* 1/2 Cup of Greek Yogurt
* 1 Cup of Frozen Blueberries
* 1 Pinch of Stevia
* 1 Cup of Water
* 5 Ice Cubes
Blend and enjoy!