Before you head to the snow, make sure that your car is ready for winter weather and that you know how to drive safely in rain, snow, sleet, hail, and wind. Since we head to Truckee a lot, I was pleased to see this list of winter driving tips from CalTrans, courtesy of Sierra Sun.
My favorite tips are:
- Reduce speed to allow for safe stopping distance
- Drive with headlights on low beam, never drive with just parking or fog lights
- Be patient. Do not pass lines of traffic.
- Carry chains
- Keep your fuel tank full and your windows clear
Read the full list of winter driving tips.
I would also like to add a couple of tips that have worked well for our family:
- Get an early start
- Make sure your tires are inflated and fluids are topped off
- Put a squeegee in the car for removing snow on the windshield
- If you are traveling with kids, bring a few snacks and drinks (not too many as you want to avoid untimely bathroom stops). Also, pack some books, small toys, and a couple of blankets.
Have fun and stay safe.