The pick-up for a fifth season comes as no surprise, the premium cable network gave producers the nod for more episodes back in September. However, the possibility of further seasons remained open prior to this definitive decision to wind it down.
“We’re thrilled to get the go-ahead for a fifth season of Boardwalk Empire,” said executive producer Terence Winter. “After much discussion with my creative team and HBO, we've decided to wrap up the series after such a great run and look forward to bringing it to a powerful and exciting conclusion.”
The series, set primarily in Atlantic City, focuses on the criminal underworld that sprang up during the Prohibition-era and permeated all levels of society. The show has won nearly universal acclaim from critics and has been nominated for more than two dozen Emmy awards.
NOW READ THIS…
- Netflix releases new trailer for 'House of Cards' season 2
- Watch Steve Ballmer's bizarre 'goodbye' speech to Microsoft employees
- Netflix: 'Orange is the New Black' is our most successful original show
- Enjoy this disturbing video of Bill Gates dressed as Austin Powers
- Review: 'Moone Boy' is a delight