An update to the Hawaii school shooting has been provided by ABC News this Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2014. Roosevelt High School in Honolulu is set to resume classes today after a 17-year-old suspect was captured and taken into police custody yesterday, sparking a full campus lockdown for several hours. Although the teen was shot directly in the wrist after reportedly punching two officers and attempting to cut another with a knife, it has not been confirmed that any charges have been filed yet against the young man, nor has his identity been made public. His case is expected to remain in family court unless it is judged he should be tried as an adult.
The Hawaii school shooting left at least one victim injured earlier this week. A teen deemed to be a runaway had entered the Honolulu area campus. A spokeswoman for the State Department of Education confirmed that officials on site had recognized the 17-year-old boy as a troubled runaway and immediately called police. Although the male teen was said to be a former student at the school, he no longer attended classes.
With the suspect captured and detained in police custody, school authorities sent out a message that classes were to resume today, Wednesday, and Roosevelt High School would be open normally after the shooting scare yesterday.
According to the updated report, the 17-year-old runaway only became violent after police officers attempted to bring him into custody. He was said to have attacked the law enforcement authorities in an office on campus, punching two in the face and revealing a knife to stab a third. One officer did receive a minor cut on the waist.
Two shots were fired against the suspect, with one of the bullets hitting the 17-year-old in the wrist. The teen was rushed to a local hospital in serious condition after the Hawaii school shooting, though both his condition as well as that of the officer were not deemed life-threatening.
"The suspect was taken into custody and walked out of the school," noted a spokesperson, noting that the boy was arrested on suspicion of three counts of attempted murder.
However, at this point in time the runaway boy has not been formally charged. The case is expected to stay in private family court unless a judge decides to have the 17-year-old suspect potentially tried as an adult. The boy’s identity has also been withheld due to his status as a minor and former student. An investigation is ongoing against the officer who fired his gun in the Hawaii school shooting until the situation is resolved.