Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Hawaii girl dental procedure: 3-year-old dies, lawsuit blames wrong medications

Hawaii girl dental procedure: 3-year-old dies, lawsuit blames wrong medications
USA Today

The “Hawaii girl dental procedure” news is the second case this month in which a routine procedure turns deadly for a child. Similar to Jahi McMath’s tonsillectomy, a Hawaii girl had a routine dental procedure but suffered cardiac arrest during the procedure and ended up with massive brain damage, reported CNN on Jan. 5, 2014.

In November, the Hawaii girl’s mother, Ashley Boyle, took her daughter to the dentist in Kailua, Hawaii, where she was told that three-year-old Finley needed six fillings and four root canals. The dental procedure for the root canals was done on Dec. 3.

According to a lawsuit, during the dental procedure, the Hawaii girl was “sedated and left unmonitored for 26 minutes.” The lawsuit filed on Monday against Lilly Geyer and her dental practice, Island Dentistry for Children, also alleges that improper medications with incorrect dosages were administered during the dental procedure.

"As a direct and proximate result of the medications administered to (Finley) by defendants, (Finley) suffered cardiac arrest during her dental procedure.” The lawsuit also alleges that as a further result of the incorrect medications, three-year-old Finley Boyle “suffered severe and permanent brain damage."

Dr. Gregory Yen, the Hawaii girl’s pediatric neurologist, said that MRIs showed the girl suffered severe brain damage and that she was in a "persistent vegetative state." Three-year-old Finley Boyle died Friday night at a hospice with her family by her side.

According to a Hawaii Star Advertiser report, the three-year-old girl's mother, who is a registered nurse, had been at her daughter's bedside since she suffered brain damage. "She will probably not be with us much longer," said her mother, Ashley, who has slept every night since Dec. 3 with her daughter, holding her in a position to ease her breathing. "We were all hoping. Even the doctors are in tears. We were all just waiting for her to wake up."

The “Hawaii girl dental procedure” death news comes on the same day that Jahi McMath’s body was released from Oakland Children’s Hospital to the Alameda County coroner’s office who (without an autopsy) in turn gave the 13-year-old girl’s body to her mother. The county coroner’s office issued a death certificate on Friday, listing Dec. 12 as Jahi’s date of death. Jahi McMath’s family is not sharing where the girl will be taken or who will care for her. Jahi McMath is on a ventilator but has no feeding tubes. Jahi McMath suffered cardiac arrest and brain damage three days after what was supposed to be a routine tonsillectomy.

Report this ad