As is often the case in Greater Jacksonville, there’s more in store for the weekend than you expected.
Marvel at Phenomenal Physics and Fantastic Forces!
Get a jump of STEM (Science, Engineering, Technology & Mathematics) with your kids on Saturday at the Super Scientific Circus.
Mr. Fish and Trent the Mime join forces to prove that science is both fun and funny.
Watch in amazement as boomerangs, bubbles, beachballs and bull whips to demonstrate introduce the principles of friction, inertia, centripetal force, aerodynamics, sonic booms, air pressure, and ultraviolet light.
Super Scientific Circus – Sun., Feb. 9, 1:30 p.m. & 4:30 p.m. Nathan H. Wilson for the Arts, 11901 Beach Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: Adults $16, $8.50 Kids under 12. Zany characters, outrageous stunts, audience participation. Circus skills and magic tricks create visual images for scientific concepts. For more information, please call 904-442-2929 or visit www.superscientificcircus.com/ and www.artistseriesjax.org.
Other weekend fun
Should ‘fun’ and ‘science’ cause a cognitive disconnect, here are some other choices for creative weekend entertainment.
As usual, there’s little something for everyone:
- Citrus Harvest Festival – Sat., Feb. 8, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Washington Oaks Gardens State Park, 6400 N. Oceanshore Blvd., Palm Coast, Fla. Admission: $5 per carload of 2-8. Enhance your knowledge of citrus. Plant sale and cooking tips. Regular park entrance fees apply. For more information, please call 386-466-6783.
- Florida Chamber Music Concert – Sun., Feb. 9, 3 p.m. Ponte Vedra Concert Hall, 1050 A1A N., Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. Admission: $25. Schubert-Quartettsatz and Quartet "Death and the Maiden." For more information, please visit flchambermusic.org.
- Gala of the Royal Horses – Sun., Feb. 9, 3 p.m. Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, 300 A. Philip Randolph Blvd., Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: $25-$55. For the first time ever, riding master Rene Gasser, creator and producer for “Gala of The Royal Horses” brings his world-renowned equestrian tour to North America. The Royal Horses of Europe are some of the most celebrated in history, favored for centuries by royalty, equestrian riders and features a number of performances involving the Andalusian, Friesian, Lipizzaner and Arabian breed. For more information, please visit www.jaxevents.com/?event=gala-of-the-royal-horses#sthash.CK86yaRd.dpuf.
- NPR Story Corps Mobile Booth Stop – Thurs., Feb. 7, 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Gainesville Downtown Public Library, 401 E. University Ave., Gainesville, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Record a conversation with a loved one or friend or tell stories about your life and family for the Library of Congress Story Corps project to collect the oral history of the United States. Select interviews will be on NPR Morning Edition on Friday. Local stop sponsored by Haven Hospice and Visit Gainesville. For more information, please call 352-339-2063.
- Tim Dorsey's Tiger Shrimp Tango – Sat., Feb. 8, 12:30 p.m. Bartram Trail Branch Library, 60 Davis Pond Blvd., Fruit Cove, Fla. Admission: FREE & open to the public. Florida mystery writer discusses his latest novel. For more information, please call 904-827-6960.
- Twilight Trek – Fri. Feb. 7, 7 p.m. Tree Hill Nature Center, 7152 Lone Star Rd,. Jacksonville, Fla. Admission: $15 Tree Hill members, $20 nonmembers. Join us for a quick dinner followed by a guided nature walk with Valentine’s theme, nighttime experiments and owl call demonstrations. Kid-friendly for kids who are comfortable in the dark without flashlights. For more information, please visit treehill.org.
©2014 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org