Chicken soup is an age old remedy for anyone suffering from a cold. This recipe is guaranteed to taste good and warm up your insides.
Homemade chicken noodle soup
1 cup dried elbow macaroni or wide noodles, uncooked
3 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cup cooked, chopped chicken
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cups diced carrots
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 tsp dried parsley
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta.
- Drain, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Combine broth and onion in 4-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until broth just comes to a boil.
- Stir in chicken, vegetables, basil, parsley and thyme.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are cooked.
- Stir in cooked pasta.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until pasta is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls.
Soup tastes great with crackers, fresh crusty bread or croutons.
To learn more about chicken soup and why it is good for colds, please see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-remedies/.