Haunted Walgreens in East Springfield, previously Bob's Burger Express

Walgreens, 5807 Main Street, Springfield, Oregon
Walgreens, 5807 Main Street, Springfield, Oregon
John Hankemeier

Most Springfield residents who have lived in the Thurston area since the early 1990's remember a time when Bob's Burgers imposed its command over hungry passerby's with a special ingredient known simply as the "secret sauce."  Similar to Thousand Island dressing, the well-known "secret sauce" delighted customers who would flock in great numbers on special days such as its famous "19-Cent Burger Days."

For decades, until closing shortly after being taken over by different owners (who perhaps could not recreate the "special sauce"), the burger joint resided on the corner of 58th and Main Street in East Springfield, a block from Thurston High School.  Now home to a prominent drugstore chain, Walgreens has taken over the corner, but Bob's... or Bob, is not completely forgotten.

Likely just a name for what was once a happy place for a hungry stomach now projects chills down the spine of employees at Walgreens who have to spend a few uneasy minutes in the opening hour of the day or the closing hour at night alone in the dark with an entity they refer to as "Bob."  "Definitely a male figure," recalls an employee who claims that her aunt whom also worked there actually saw a ghost, which is now referred to as "Bob" because of the like name to the place that existed before.  "We often come in to the store and find boxes on the floor or hear things thrown to the floor during store hours."  Most of the employees who work or have worked at the Walgreens have experienced Bob's presence at one time or another.

The many stories about Bob and his haunting of the Walgreen Pharmacy are not entirely limited to the employees.  On one occasion, Clovis, a local resident, had also heard about the hauntings and decided to question a new employee during his visit to the store.  Alerting her with his take on what he knew of Bob, a brief expression of concern turned to fright when the entrance door opened immediately without other customers around.  Unhesitant, Clovis turned toward the exit, leaving the new employee to ponder future instances that might eventually invoke the same uncomfortable feelings.  Unlike any other time of day, the waking and closing hours of the store heightens these feelings to employees coming and leaving in the dark, looking or waiting to see or be seen by this entity who will continue to be known to them as "Bob."

Comments

• Secret Saucer 4 years ago

What an eerie picture...

• Cheryl Jones 4 years ago

Great article!

• Trixie 4 years ago

Thank you! I've always had a strange feeling in that Wallgreens. Glad to know I'm not alone.

• Olivia 4 years ago

Keep them coming John. Very interesting.

• Jami 4 years ago

Creepy! nice article!

• Jack Smith 4 years ago

Very creepy!

• river rat 4 years ago

good to know... hmm... spooky!

• Ross 4 years ago

That's why I hate Walgreens!

• Chrissy 1 year ago

I miss Bob's Hambugers! The place was also "Dean's Donuts" for awhile, between being Bob's and Walgreens.

• brenda 7 months ago

I have been working at Walgreens for 10 yrs now I just recently read this message about our store, not really sure who you are talking about with the guy and the aunt, considering I was the opening cashier for 15 months before moving to cosmetics..I would get there at 6:45 in the morning and it was only about 2 months of doing this when I exspereince this myself. As I spoke of it to other co-workers they did not believe me..I then started refering to this entity as Bob..Then one night as one of my bosses and i had to pull an all nighter stuff was comming off the shelf for no reason what so ever..As he was freaked out I informed him there was no worries I had been knowing this entity for a year or so at this point and had never felt uncomfortable, even though I probably should have, do to the fact it looked like an evil reaper .. So with this being said, I just would like everyone to know there are no worries when you shop with us, our store is very safe, happy and friendly. Even if Bob is there at the time..I dont feel he is there to cause harm he just doesn't want to be forgotten .So take care and be well..

• John Bell 5 months ago

First of all, Bob isn't dead.. and those automatic doors glitch out all the time when light hits them just right or wind blows particles in front of the sensor...