As the calendar turns to October, it once again signifies the beginning of haunted house season. The great thing about living in Cincinnati, for the haunted house fan, is the proximity of great haunted houses within a short road trip. Here are a few haunted houses you may want to check out this season.
1. The Haunted Cave (Lewisburg, Ohio) - The longest running, underground Halloween attraction in Ohio, the Haunted Cave takes visitors deep below the earth's surface into a claustrophobic's worst nightmare.
2. Haunted Hollow Ride (Wilmington, Ohio) - Billed as "Home of the fire breathing semis", the Haunted Hollow ride takes riders on an adventure designed to scare their "victims" at every turn.
3. Land of Illusion (Middletown, Ohio) - A one of a kind, celebration of terror, is how the Land of Illusion creators describe this haunted adventure. Featuring four unique attractions, there is sure to be something to scare everyone in your group.
4. The Baxter Avenue Morgue (Louisville, Kentucky) - It may never be known what all went on within the walls of The Baxter Avenue Morgue. Visitors can draw their own conclusions after touring this once functioning morgue.
5. West Virginia Penitentiary (Moundsville, West Virginia) - This once functioning penal facility offers visitors the experience of being locked behind the prison bars in this historic penitentiary. During your tour of the West Virginia Penitentiary, visitors will see the electric chair, "old sparky" and hear stories of the inmates that once called these grounds home.