Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Crime & Courts

Hashish oil lab busted in San Francisco

See also

An illegal hash oil production and marijuana cultivation operation has been closed down in San Francisco, police announced this weekend, and two people have been arrested.

Alexander Lioulios, 33, and Lauren Todd, 26, both of San Francisco, have been charged with marijuana cultivation, theft of utility services, two counts of marijuana sales, maintaining premises where controlled substances are used or sold, manufacturing a controlled substance and conspiracy.

Police say they initiated an investigation in June of 2014, within the area of the 100 block of Molino Drive, after a strong smell of marijuana was reported from the area. A search warrant for a property was approved and served on August 7.

After execution of the search warrant, it was determined that a marijuana cultivation operation was being operated with an electrical bypass. PG&E examined the property and determined that electricity was being stolen.

It was also discovered that a “butane honey oil lab” was also being operated at this location. “Honey oil” is the term referring to the extracted concentrated cannabis oil. The manufacturing of concentrated THC “honey oil” by using the butane method is a highly volatile process. It takes a small spark to ignite a fire or explosion. Usually the ignition is caused by a pilot light in a water heater or other household appliance. Instances of these fires and explosions are increasing throughout the SF Bay Area and the nation, according to the SFPD. The container inadvertently becomes a “pipe bomb.” The conditions in this operation posed a risk to the neighborhood.

Evidence of on-going narcotics trafficking activities was discovered at this location, including 84 plants found growing in the residence, along with over 10 pounds of dried processed marijuana and 82 containers of concentrated THC oil.

Lioulios and Todd were taken into custody and booked into San Francisco County Jail.

In other crime news, in the early morning hours of August 8, a 35-year-old man near the intersection of Columbus and Pacific streets observed a man who appeared to be of an age somewhere in his 20s “physically abusing” a woman and the older man attempted to intervene.

The perpetrator responded by punching the man in the face and producing a pistol, which the younger man used to threaten the older man, then fired two shots into the air with the weapon. The victim then fled the scene on foot.

Less than an hour later at the intersection of 16th and Mission streets a 28-year-old man was waiting for a bus when a teenage male approached and asked him for money. The man gave him a “small amount” of money and the teenager walked away.

Then the same person came back with another teenage male, brandished a handgun and demanded the man’s property, which included more money and a cell phone. The man complied and the two teenage males fled the scene.