As a result of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's refusal to consider a single Republican plan to keep the government funded, federal agencies began to shut down for the first time in 17 years at midnight Monday. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said on his Facebook page that if Reid forced a shutdown, he would donate his salary to charity for each day of the shutdown.
"Harry Reid should not force a government shutdown," Cruz said. "I hope that Reid stops refusing to negotiate and works with the House to avoid a government shutdown, and, at the same time, prevent the enormous harms that Obamacare is inflicting on the American people."
"If, however, Harry Reid forces a government shutdown, I intend to donate my salary to charity for each day the government is shut down," he added "Elected leaders should not be treated better than the American people, which is precisely why hardworking Americans deserve the same Obamacare exception that President Obama has already granted Members of Congress."
Even though the GOP-led House passed three resolutions keeping the government funded, Reid said in no uncertain terms it was "my way or the highway" on funding Obamacare. After 26 moderate Republicans voted to invoke cloture, Reid reinserted language funding the health care law and sent the measure back to the House making it clear he would not accept anything else.
Minutes after the shutdown, Reid -- who has spent the entire debate fomenting violence against conservatives -- claimed Tea Party anarchists caused the shutdown, instead of his own refusal to consider a single GOP proposal.
"These people who are elected to represent the country are representing the Tea Party -- the anarchists of the country," he said. Reid continued his "my way or the highway" stance, saying House Republicans must pass the resolution he sent with Obamacare funding intact.
The Blaze said that an estimated 800,000 federal workers faced furloughs, but many were told to work a half day Tuesday.
"Critical functions like air traffic control and military operations will continue. Social Security benefits will be paid. National parks and most federal offices will close," Jason Howerton wrote.
- Obama implies GOP to ruin Christmas over Obamacare funding
- Unhinged: Maine senator says Obamacare opponents ‘guilty of murder’
- 'Tippy-top' Dem to Politico on shutdown: 'Time to punch' GOP 'bully' in the nose
- Unhinged: Disgraced former Dem. official calls for eating Republicans, blowing up 2016 GOP convention
- Liberal graffiti states desire of leftists: ‘Kill all Republicans’
- The left’s answer for what ails America: Murder conservatives, NRA members
- White House petitions demand GOP arrested for treason, called terrorist group
- Hyper-partisan Obama in weekly address: 'Extremist' GOP set to shut down gov't (Video)
- Harry Reid, Barack Obama fomenting violence against conservatives over Obamacare
- ‘Sick’ Brauer also encouraged cannibalism and bombing 2016 RNC: ‘I hate people’
- Calif. Dem. official to GOP staffer Amanda Carpenter: May your children all die
- UCSF fundraiser advocates withholding health care from Obamacare opponents
- Obama throws tantrum over Obamacare defunding, says military may not get paid
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.