On Friday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., adopted tactics spelled out by "Rules for Radicals" author Saul Alinsky and falsely claimed on the floor of the Senate that "anarchists" in the Tea Party are part of a well-funded conspiracy to destroy the U.S. government, CNS News said. He repeated the charge in a tweet sent Saturday, according to Twitchy.
“A bad day for government is a good day for the anarchists among us, those who believe in no—I repeat, no—government. That is their belief,” he said. “The modern-day anarchists known as the Tea Party, they believe in no government. And they are backed by a very wealthy group of people who finance this effort to destroy our government.”
“Today, the Republican Party has been infected by a small but destructive faction that would rather tear down the House our Founders built than govern from it,” Reid claimed before arguing that disagreement with him is "extremism."
“These extremists are more interested in putting on a show, as one Republican colleague put it, than in legislating. That is why they prevented the Senate from taking action to avert a government shutdown last night to put on a show today," he added.
Later, Reid asked: “So the question is: Can we overcome modern-day anarchists?”
"Today’s vote by House Republicans is pointless. The American people will not be extorted by Tea Party anarchists," he tweeted.
While Reid's supporters agreed with his sentiment, a number of people reminded Reid that anarchism is a tactic frequently used by left wing activists like those who participated in the Occupy Wall Street protests. Twitchy observed that some of Reid's supporters couldn't spell the Senator's name correctly.
Reid's comments, however, are part of the "new tone" being used by Democrats to keep their angry base stirred up.
If Congress cannot agree on funding, the government is set to shut down on October 1, but the House overwhelmingly voted to continue paying the military in the event of a shutdown.
- Is the ‘mainstream media’ fomenting violence against conservatives?
- Hyper-partisan Obama in weekly address: 'Extremist' GOP set to shut down gov't (Video)
- Harry Reid, Barack Obama fomenting violence against conservatives over Obamacare
- Lindsey Graham called a liar after tweet saying he voted to defund Obamacare
- Conservative groups slam 'Obama Republicans' for Obamacare funding vote
- Obama throws tantrum over Obamacare defunding, says military may not get paid (Video)
- GOP Senate bosses set to own Obamacare, refuse to speak with constituents
- A list of the ‘Obama Republican’ weasels whose votes ensured Obamacare funding
- Obamacare board game shows no one but IRS wins with health care law
- Sebelius: Obamacare to favor gays over straight people
- John Conyers: Obamacare "platform" to socialized health care
- Michele Bachmann: Obamacare 'crown jewel of socialism'
- 'Yes We Can' board game teaches impact of Obama's economic doctrine
- Report: Obamacare provision will allow 'forced' home inspections by gov't agents
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.