Here are some ideas to get you out and about in the Harrisburg area this New Year’s Eve: tails and tie NOT required.
- Penntera is the “Ultimate Pantera Tribute Show”, and you better believe it! If you want to thrash and bang through the New Year, get down to Fat Daddy’s in York. Showtime is 10:00 PM. For an additional bonus, Space (one of the best drummers you’ll ever see) will be celebrating his birthday. A good time will be had by all!
- The Cherry Poppin’ Daddies (“Zoot Suit Riot”), a national recording act from Eugene, Oregon, will be ringing in the New Year in downtown Hershey. The opener (Jersey-based pop band Honor Society) is scheduled for 9:00 PM. Fireworks follow at midnight. The events are scheduled to take place in the Square of Hershey at Chocolate & Park Avenues, and the best part is the show is absolutely FREE!
- Veterans of the Harrisburg music scene know Emily’s Toybox, as they have rocked all over Central PA for years. They may truly be “the band your mother warned you about,” so get out and check them out at West Shore Hardware Bar this New Year’s Eve. 10:30 PM is the start time, so don’t be late or you’ll be left out in the cold.
- The Hollywood Casino is getting into the New Year’s rock and roll act this year. Pittsburgh-based Bon Journey (yes, exactly what it sounds like: a band paying tribute to Bon Jovi and Journey) plays at 8:00 PM, and local funk/disco band Echelon (you’ve got to see them to believe them) takes the stage at 10:00 PM. This show is also free and it is expected to be standing-room-only, so get there early.
- Last but not least, Halestorm comes home to bring in 2010 with a bang! The site is the Chameleon Club in Lancaster. Doors open at 8:00 PM, and tickets are $12 at the door. The band is touring in support of their debut, self-titled album, and you know they’ll be playing “I Get Off”. It's a good bet they’ll also throw in some old crowd favorites from their days of club-trawling around Central Pennsylvania. If you have a chance, get to the Chameleon Club. This will be one hell of a show.
Happy New Years to all you rockers out there. Please, be safe whilst you revel, and always designate a sober driver. You need to stay around to rock out during 2010. Stay hungry!