His book, HappyBaby: Organic Guide to Baby's First 24 Months was introduced and discussed during the Expo. You can also find tons of fascinating and interesting information about the Sears' family at their official site, Askdrsears.com.
Topics discussed in this interview are "Family Nutrition" and "Choosing Safe Products for Baby & Your Home."
This article focuses on Family Nutrition, and Dr. Sears uses the following few simple guidelines to make family feeding an easy matter.
1. Simple mashed foods -- the more natural, the better. If you can make your own baby food, that's the best option. Here are some easily-prepared foods -- mashed bananas, sweet potatoes, eggs and avocados.
2. HAPPYBABY Organic Baby Food -- for other than simple mashed foods, head to the H-E-B freezer section to find this brand. Dr. Sears partners with and is a medical adviser to them.
3. Formula -- liquid organic. If your baby is particularly sensitive, look for formula marked "Hypoallergenic and Organic."
4. Juices -- none. Other than formula, Dr. Sears prefers that infants only be given water. Juices are mostly sugar and have little nutritional value.
5. Supplements -- Omega 3 Fats (for healthy brains and nervous systems) and Vitamin D (for a healthy immune system). The best Omega 3 fats are found fish, in which most families are seriously deficient. However, starting infants on fish once or twice a week will embrace good habits and raise healthy routine fish-eating families.
6. Other Omega 3 -- eggs and avocados, and since babies can’t get too much cholesterol, eggs are not a concern.
7. Vitamin D -- most easily supplemented in drops -- one 400-unit drop daily until the age of one, and one 800-unit drop daily thereafter.
8. Milk products -- (after the age of one) If your infant shows signs of diarrhea or constipation, stop using the milk, as this is often a sign of a milk allergy.
Note: You can find HappyBaby products at H-E-B stores, and they can be ordered from Happy Baby Foods and products
The next article will discuss, "Choosing Safe Products for Baby & Your Home.” For your convenience, if you register at the top of this page, you are automatically notified when new articles are posted.
For more information, or to suggest topics you would like to discuss, contact Edwina Lewis. Also, please leave any comments and/or suggestions.