Hours before the 2013 Times Square Ball drops in New York City, people around the world are celebrating the new year.
A spectacular New Year's Eve fireworks display exploded over the harbor in Syndey, Australia to the delight of more than 1.5 million people.
Reuters reports that more than $6.6 million in fireworks were set off over and around the Syndey Harbour Bridge and Opera House on New Year's Eve.
A huge pyrotechnic show kicked off the New Year celebration in Hong Kong and fireworks were on display near the Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia.
Balloons, not fireworks, were released in Tokyo to celebrate 2013, with the Tokyo Tower fully illuminated at the big countdown event.
In Seoul, Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon hit a traditional bell to usher in 2013 at the Bo-Sin_Gak pavilion.
Celebrations in Taiwan included fireworks from the Taipei 101, known as Taiwan's tallest skyscraper.
Here in the United States, the countdown begins a minute before midnight, with all eyes on the famous Times Square Ball in New York City.
- Watch 2013 Times Square Ball drop live online: Happy New Year countdown begins
- Happy New Year's jokes ring in 2013 with a laugh
- New Year's Eve quotes to share before the Times Square Ball drops
- AAA Tipsy Tow phone number for New Year's Eve drunk drivers in select states
- New Years Eve song lyrics: Ring in 2013 with Auld Lang Syne
- Free 2013 New Year's wallpaper, screensavers for PC, Mac, smartphones
- Walmart's New Year's Eve hours: What time do stores close?