While the weather outside may be frightful, January 11 is plain delightful! If you're looking for a little something to warm you up, go grab your mug! Jan. 11 is National Hot Toddy Day!
While the origins of this annual "holiday" are unknown, folks have been sippin' on this classic hot beverage since the 18th century. Perfect for cold winter nights, Hot Toddies are delicious drinks typically comprised of three ingredients - a hot liquid, sweetener and spirit of choice. Typical ingredients include boiling water, honey or sugar, lemon, spices and rum, brandy or whiskey. Some believe Hot Toddies are just what the doctor ordered if you have flu or common cold symptoms.
Hot Toddy Recipes
- Hot Toddy - This classic 5-star drink calls for honey, lemon, hot water, a tea bag and choice of brandy, whiskey or rum.
- Hot Irish Whiskey - You'll need sugar, lemon, cloves, boiled water and Jameson Irish whiskey for this 5-star Toddy.
- Hot Tully - This drink calls for simple syrup, fresh lemon juice, hot water and an ounce of Tullamore D.E.W.
- Hot Cranberry Toddy - This 5-star recipe calls for cranberry juice, sugar, lemon juice, bourbon or rum, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Hot Rum and Pineapple Toddies - This top-rated drink, includes pineapple juice, pure maple syrup, fresh lemon juice, heavy cream, dark rum and a cinnamon stick. Yum!
- Hot Apple Toddies - This 5-star toddy calls for apple cider, cinnamon sticks, spiced rum and cinnamon schnapps.
- Blackberry Hot Toddy - This recipe looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g! You'll need bourbon whiskey, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon, brown sugar, vanilla stick and a package of Driscoll's Blackberries. Mmmm.