Stress levels are high among stay-at- home moms and moms that work outside the home. Stressful mornings set the tone for the day. Sleep deprived women are finding themselves rushing and short-tempered with their loved ones. When this happens, food isn’t digested properly, kids are sent off to school high-strung and no one feels relaxed and ready for the day.
Women need to take some time to focus on themselves – no matter how selfish it may make them feel. Moms are the backbone of the family - the doctor, chauffeur, teacher, couselor, single parent, cook, maid, referee and a lot of times, the bread winner. With all of these things going on, moms have more stress than ever before. High stress leads to moodiness, sleeplessness, irritation and lack of focus. Women are nurturers, by nature. They need to take care of everyone, all the time. But how can they take care of the people in their lives if they don’t take care of themselves?
Try a few of these tips to bring some relaxation into your life:
1. Set aside some alone time – even if only for a few hours per week. Rotate babysitting with some other moms in the neighborhood for free time. Take that time to shop, get a manicure, read a magazine from cover to cover or just nap.
2. If you have little ones at home, you’ve heard it before – nap when the kids nap. When stress levels are high, we sleep less at night. A short catnap can do wonders.
3. Utilize grandparents once a month for a date night with your partner or downtime with the girlfriends. The grandparents get quality time with their grandchildren and you get quality time with the adults in your life.
4. Be silly! Don’t take yourself too seriously every minute of every day. Turn on the stereo and dance with the kids in the living room. You’ll burn calories while having fun with the kids.
5. Workout! Whether it’s in the gym, in your basement or walking in the neighborhood, exercising raises endorphins and adrenalin – both will help to raise your mood and boost your energy. Doing this will feel as if your stress level has lowered and help you to sleep at night.
Moms need to find a way to relax and unwind in some capacity every day. Remember , a happy mom = a happy household.