When it comes to holidays, January 23 has a little something for everyone! Not only is it National Handwriting Day, National Reading Day and National Pie Day, which means free and cheap pie, it is also Measure Your Feet Day, too! No foolin!
While the origins of this annual holiday are unknown, perhaps the day was created by a shoe salesman, designer, podiatrist or even a shoemaker, which just happens to be my maiden name!
In honor of Measure Your Feet Day, why not get out the old ruler and give it a go? Or celebrate by enjoying a much deserved pedicure. Today also provides the perfect excuse to splurge on those fabulous shoes you've been eyeing!
Fun Feet Facts
- All babies have flat feet.
- About 25 percent of the bones in your body are located in your feet! Each foot contains 26 bones.
- If you have sweaty feet, it's not your imagination! There are 250,000 sweat glands in your feet.
- The average person walks about 10,000 steps each day.
- Toenails grow more slowly than fingernails.
- You can pick up a variety of foot issues including ringworm, Athletes Foot and planter warts, from communal showers.
- Women have more foot problems than men - probably due to high heels.
- Nine out of 10 women wear shoes that are too small.
- The best selling shoe size for American women is 8 1/2 and 10 1/2 for men.
- Did you know your feet are actually larger at the end of the day?
- Nicknamed "Bigfoot," Matthew McGrory won the Guinness World Record for World's Largest Toe.
- While size does matter sometimes, the correlation between shoe size and the size of a man's penis is unfounded despite what you may have heard.
Happy Measure Your Feet Day!