Happy Father’s Day this 2014 to all of the dads out there, as this Sunday, June 15, marks the unofficial perennial holiday, Father’s Day. Because many times our fathers work day in and out without asking for anything in return, it can be difficult at times trying to figure out how to celebrate this special occasion or discover what gifts to give. Today.com shares this Saturday, June 14, some interesting quotes to honor your one and only dad this weekend, including some of the viral videos trending on the Web involving fathers this past year.
If you’re looking for a fun, refreshing way to say “Happy Father’s Day” to your dad this Sunday, then look no further than some of these hilarious, engaging, and downright cute videos. Many of these viral YouTube clips were caught by camera-prepared moms and other loved ones, featuring a dad and his beloved child.
Perhaps some of these hit videos may help you think this Father’s Day 2014 of just some of the ways your dad has made you feel special in past years — or this year! One such video featured on the Today website is that of a father simply getting “Frozen,” the hit Disney movie. In this popular clip, a father lip synchs the popular song, “Love is an Open Door,” with his young daughter, creating quite the spectacle. It seems this adorable couple can truly finish the other’s … sandwiches on Father’s Day.
Another cute video that was very popular last year was a duet that one dad named Benjamin Ames enjoyed with his 4-year-old daughter by the name of Adelaide. In the YouTube clip, the delightful pair sings the classic hit song, “You Belong to Me” with their own unique spin. Talk about keeping a dad entertained on Father’s Day — or any other day of the year.
"She thought she kept hearing fireworks and couldn't sleep, so we sang to keep her mind preoccupied," Ames said in the brief description for their YouTube video. "In the end, nothing competes with fireworks."
Medical Daily News also offers a novel and compelling way to say happy Father’s Day to that special dad in your life by means of a kind and meaningful quote. Here is a list of the top 20 quotes you might consider adding to a card and letting your dad know that you love him on Father’s Day. It might also serve as a great conversation starter when thinking how to celebrate this special holiday.
1. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” –Sigmund Freud, Austrian neurologist and founding father of psychoanalysis
2. “Few sons are like their fathers- many are worse, few better.” –Homer, Greek philosopher and author of The Odyssey
3. “Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope.” –Billy Cosby, American comedian and actor
4. “Above all, children need our unconditional love, whether they succeed or make mistakes; when life is easy and when life is tough.” –President Barack Obama, 44th current president of the United States
5. “This is my most important role. If I fail at this, I fail at everything.” –Mark Wahlberg, American actor
6. “Fatherhood is great because you can ruin someone from scratch.” –Jon Stewart, American political satirist and television host
7. “It’s admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping.” –John Sinor, San Diego Tribune newspaper columnist
8. "When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry.” –William Shakespeare, English poet and playwright
9. “The nature of impending fatherhood is that you are doing something that you’re unqualified to do, and then you become qualified while doing it.” –John Green, author of The Fault in Our Stars
10. "I thought I would be more inspired to have all these new feelings to talk about, but I really just want to hang out with my daughter." –Jay Z, Shawn Corey Carter, hip-hop artist and producer
11. “It’s only when you grow up, and step back from him, or leave him for your own career and your own home. It’s only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. Pride reinforces love.” –Margaret Truman, daughter of 33rd United States President
12. “Be a dad. Don’t be ‘Mom’s assistant.’ That’s depressing, just waiting for her to write you a list, walk around a store staring at it, calling her from the cereal aisle to make sure you got the right thing. Be a man. Make your own list. Fathers have skills that they never use at home. You run a landscaping business and you can’t dress and feed a 4-year-old? Take it on. Spend time with your kids and have your own ideas about what they need. It won’t take away your manhood; it will give it to you. I did that. I spent more time with my kids. And I found out that I’m a pretty bad father. I make a lot of mistakes and I don’t know what I’m doing. But my kids love me. Go figure.” – “Louis C.K.” Szekely, comedian, actor, producer
13. "It is easier for a father to have children than for children to have a real father." –Pope John XXIII, Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli
14. “Becoming a father, I think it inevitably changes your perspective of life. I don’t get nearly enough sleep. And the simplest things in life are completely satisfying.” –Hugh Jackman, Australian actor
15. "When one has not had a good father, one must create one.”–Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher
16. “My father was not a failure. After all, he was the father of a president of the United States.” –Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of America
17. “The greatest thing a father can do for his daughter is to love her mother.” –Elaine S. Dalton, 13th president of the Young Women organization
18. “Do I want to be a hero to my son? No. I would like to be a very real human being. That’s hard enough.” –Robert Downey Jr., American actor
19. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give to another person; he believed in me.” –Jim Valvano, basketball coach and broadcaster
20. "It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived." –Harper Lee, author of To Kill a Mockingbird
While Mother’s Day may usually get most of the glory year after year (and understandably so), today let’s take a moment to celebrate the favorite fathers in our lives and all that they do each and every day. Happy Father's Day to all dads (whether of sons, daughters, pets, or godchildren) everywhere this 2014!