Even though Chinese New Year isn’t officially until the 31st – and we’re still in recovery from, you know, the other one – take another bite at the party apple on Sunday at the Jacksonville Fairgrounds.
Ring in the year of the Horse with the Vietnamese Association of Jacksonville for Tet from 11 a.m-7 p.m.
Your $5 admission includes food, music, a show and a large indoor entertainment area for kids.
Willing to dress in traditional Tet fashion?
You can your kids five and under get in free.
Read up before you get there
Chinese New Year usually coincides with the Vietnamese New Year (Têt), the Tibetan New Year (Losar), the Mongol New Year (Tsagaan Sar), the Korean New Year (Seollal), the Japanese New Year (Shōgatsu) and New Years celebrations in parts of Indonesia as well.
How to celebrate Chinese New Year
- Clean and decorate your house with traditional apricot and peach flowers, symbols of purity, renewal and brand-new beginnings.
- Buy and wear new clothes.
- Stage a special open-air ceremony to welcome the Kitchen God back for the new year.
- Visit with friends and relatives you haven’t seen in a while, enjoy a big family meal, and wish each other prosperity and good health by giving each other lucky money in bright red envelopes.
- Tell the family elders to give lucky bright-red envelopes full of money to younger people, along with good advice and other words of wisdom, encouraging the recipients to keep up with schoolwork, live harmoniously with others, et cetera.
It’s kind of like all our holidays rolled into one.
3rd Annual Vietnamese New Years Festival (Tet)
- Hosted by the Vietnamese Association of Jacksonville
- Sun., Jan. 12, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Admission: Adults $5, Those in traditional Tet dress & Kids 5 & FREE
- Jacksonville Fairgrounds
- 510 Fairground Pl.
- Jacksonville, Fla. 32202
- Phone: 904-701-0907
©2014 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org