Is it a cookie or is it a candy? That is usually the question I get whenever I prepare Sweet Sunflower Wafers. As far as an answer goes -- well I guess it is whatever you want it to be!
Now you might look at the ingredients and think I popped one too many shots of tequila. Of course that is always a possibility but the ingredients are indeed correct. Yes, these wafer thin (you can almost see through them) nutty candy-like wafers require very little ingredients and only take about 6 minutes. There is only one thing you have to watch out for and that is the spreading of the cookie/candy. I only recommend three per sheet due to the fact they will spread to about four times their original size.
The other little special step you will want to take is to let these cool almost completely on the pan. If you attempt to remove them too soon, you will have a mess. To make these tasty morsels of sweetness, it will make things a lot easier if you line your baking pan with a silicon sheet (available at all kitchen stores). If you use parchment paper, I would lightly oil the parchment paper first.
Ingredients needed to make Sweet Sunflower Wafers (amount depends on size):
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (either raw, dry roasted or salted is fine)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with a silicon sheet or lightly oiled parchment paper.
- Into a mixer with the paddle attachment, beat all the ingredients until smooth (this will be more of a batter than a dough).
- Drop by the teaspoon onto the prepared baking pan. Remember, these will spread about four times their size.
- Place in the oven and bake 6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan until you can touch them and then carefully remove them (they are rather delicate).
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."