When your specialty is Southwest cuisine, people rightfully expect you to serve cornbread which is memorable. At Casa de Cuisine we serve various cornbread's (including our original and award-winning Vegan Cornbread) but every once in awhile, Chef Larry Edwards works up something truly original and incredibly delicious. This cornbread has become our most popular as it is probably the first time the words "sweet" and "cilantro" have ever been associated.
When you first look at the recipe you might notice a somewhat strange and oxymoron thing. We have a sweet cornbread, yet we have also liberally doused this cornbread with sour cream. Huh? The sour cream used in this recipe is not so much used for its flavor, it is used for its binding elements. It also is the secret to the delicate texture of this cornbread.
Ingredients needed to make Sweet Cilantro Cornbread:
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Line the bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients and cilantro until smooth and creamy.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until you have a stiff batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and even out.
- Place in the oven and bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan 5 minutes.
- Remove the cornbread to a wire rack and cool until ready to serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."