Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Hannah Connaway abuse victim released from hospital after brain surgery

Hannah Connaway a teenager out of Wilmington, NC has been released from New Hanover Regional Medical Center after spending over one month in hospital recovering from brain surgery stemmed from a domestic violence attack.
Hannah Connaway a teenager out of Wilmington, NC has been released from New Hanover Regional Medical Center after spending over one month in hospital recovering from brain surgery stemmed from a domestic violence attack.

It is every parent's worst nightmare, that their child gets involved with someone that could lead their most precious blessing to a tragedy. For the family of Hannah Connaway, their tragedy has been abated with medical miracles. The family of Hannah Connaway may even believe that someone was watching over their little girl when they were unable to on the evening of May 23 when a 15 minute fight led Hannah Connaway to the trauma center at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in New Hanover, NC where she underwent immediate brain surgery. CBS News was among the first to break the story over the alleged attempted murder of Hannah Connaway, and the Toronto Relationships Examiner has been following Hannah's progress ever since. WECT News out of North Carolina has reported on June 27 that one very long month after the attack, Hannah Connaway has been released from the hospital and is recovering well.

It will still be a long road of healing for Hannah Connaway reports WECT News. But after spending one month and several days at the New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Hannah Connaway was released from the hospital to recover at home on June 27.

As previously reported by the Toronto Relationships Examiner, the incident occurred at the home of the Hutton residence between Hannah and her then boyfriend Michael Hutton on the evening of May 23. Reports of the evening in question suggest that the attack occurred as a result of some tangled fishing lines and some snarky texts inside the Hutton residence. A friend of the victim Claudene Williams was present at the time of the attack and stated that the fight "escalated from there".

Claudene also told media outlets that the fight began inside the Hutton residence, and finished outside. She reportedly heard the entire attack according to the Daily Mail,

"I keep on hearing her screaming and I keep on hearing all the sounds and it's just awful. I ran around the front door. I tried to get in. All the doors were locked. It was just awful."

Claudene Williams tried to save her friend from further attack but was unsuccessful because the accused had allegedly locked all of the doors in the house so that Hannah could not escape his wrath. The Daily Mail reports transcripts of the 911 call that led emergency responders to the scene where they found Hannah Connaway on the front lawn, unconscious and unresponsive.

"She's bleeding and on the ground. She can't walk. It's her boyfriend, and he's threatening and screaming at us to get back in the car, so I just need someone to be there."

Hannah entered the hospital on May 23 as a child, a mere 17-year-old girl of innocence believing the best of the world. On Friday, Hannah left the New Hanover Regional Medical Center an 18-year-old woman, shadowed by some of the dark and cruel realities of the world.

Immediately after the attack friends of the victim established the Hannah Connaway Go Fund Me page to help the family offset the cost of her significant and ongoing medical expenses. To date, the page has raised over 18K dollars, and is just shy of its 20k goal. The family of the victim has released a statement via WECT News.

Today, we are leaving an incredible group of professionals at the hospital and transitioning to another phase of therapy for Hannah! All the doctors, nurses, therapists, cooks, and cleaning people at the hospital have been amazing. Thank you and God bless to all the people of Wilmington for changing our daughters life with all the many prayers and donations. I know God heard the prayers and healed our Hannah. God is good and we love all of you. We need additional time alone for continued healing.

Before the attack Hannah was planning on leaving for Hawaii in August to continue her academic career and begin her life as a young woman. Immediately after the attack, it remained doubtful that those dreams would ever transpire. While her healing has been slow and steady, family members are still hoping those dreams will come true for Hannah.

Hannah's grandmother Cynthia Strickland told WECT News, "She was leaving in August to attend college in Hawaii and to study mechanical engineering. I'm hoping she'll still be able to go."

Until then, Hannah's focus will be healing. She has begun to walk and is able to talk and is taking "one day at a time". If there is any blessing to be found in this tragedy, it is that WECT News reports that Hannah does not remember anything that happened on the night in question.

The New Hanover County Assistant District Attorney is throwing the book at Michael Hutton. On May 24 Hutton was charged with Assault to inflict serious injury and assault on a female. On May 27 those charges were upgraded to multiple charges more serious in nature.

Michael Hutton is in the New Hanover County jail awaiting trial on a secured bond of $1 million dollars for the charges of attempted murder in the first degree, assault by strangulation, and kidnapping in the first degree according to the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office. A previous mug shot for Michael Hutton registered with the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office shows a man with a black eye, suggesting this is not the first time Hutton has dealt with alleged battery charges.

This case has some very sad similarities to another case where domestic abuse has been speculated, the case that has the world watching for the outcome of the Oscar Pistorius trial for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp. One relationship, less than 3 months old that ends with neighbors outside on the lawn after hearing helpless screams coming from inside. Reeva Steenkamp was not as lucky as Hannah Connaway.

On the morning after her release from the hospital, Hannah posted her own update to Facebook for the first time in almost 40 days. Hannah's status update on Facebook on June 28 happily reads,

Thank you everyone who has prayed for me so much and has donated!!! I love you all so much let's have a party soon!

Report this ad