Crowdfunding is becoming another opportunity to secure funding of entrepreneurial initiatives, especially seed and early stage startups.Today, entrepreneurs have more funding options than before. In addition to traditional venture capital, Angel groups or individual investors, and corporate venture there are over 1000 different models of crowdfounding platforms. Crowdfunding has raised $2.7 billion in 2012 globally, across more than 1 million individual campaigns. The trend continued to grow in 2013, where estimates rest at over $5 billion (according to a Crowdfunding Industry Report by Massolution).
While crowdfunding has changed the landscape, the JOBS Act (Jumpstart Our Business Act) presented new rules and potential implications. Startups and entrepreneurs need to understand which approach to take and how to avoid potential issues.
Upcoming Bay Area and Silicon Valley events
SVCrowdfund provides its participants with the unique opportunity to discuss the current state of the emerging Crowdfunding industry, to learn from experts in venture capital, business angel and Crowdfunding fields, and to network with up and coming Crowdfunding businesses and startups. The conference will be held for 2 days and will feature:
- Crowdfunding panels - by industry leaders and crowdfunding experts.
- Networking opportunities, including crowdfunding platforms founders.
- Startup competition
- When: April 3 - 4
- Where: Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel, 625 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301
- Registration: http://www.eventbrite.com/o/2014-crowdfunding-world-tour-conference-amp-...
(Use code "CROWDFUND" to get a ticket discount).
Learn to Create a Winning Crowdfunding Campaign!
Crowdfunding is becoming a formidable new way to fund new entrepreneurial projects and companies - particularly for creative projects and innovative design products. This new world of crowdfunding has a new set of rules, and requires new techniques and approaches - from crafting a pitch to creating videos to new legal and marketing issues.
The workshop,will provide hands on training: How to prepare your idea or company to attract crowdfunding; How to conduct a successful crowdfunding campaign using social media, and How to leverage your crowdfunding campaign into broader entrepreneurial success.
Best-practices and methods of writing to attract funding will be shared, including on how to create a compelling crowdfunding video yourself, how to use low cost equipment and free software tools.
The workshop will include:
- Networking opportunities
- Crowdfunding overview, such as forms of crowdfunding, latest legal issues, crowdfunding sites and methods
- Crafting The Idea and Campaign - Planning and writing
- Perks and Rewards - Incentives for attracting donors
- Creating the pitch - How to prepare the visuals
- How to run successful campaign - Using social media and other traditional marketing methods
- When: Saturday, March 29, 2014 from 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM (PDT)
- Where; Cogswell Polytechnical College, 1175 Bordeaux Drive, Room 192, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
- Registration: Click here for tickets.
3. Calling all startups and entrepreneurs - Launch: Silicon Valley
The 2014 World Cup Tech Challenge!
SVForum announces 'Launch: Silicon Valley', an annual and high visibility technology product launch event, that celebrates innovation in Silicon Valley.
In its 8th year, Launch: Silicon Valley is a premier product launch platform for Technology startups. The event, co-presented by SVForum and Microsoft, provides the next generation of emerging technology companies with the opportunity to pitch their products to, and network with, an audience of Silicon Valley’s top Venture Capitalists, Angels, corporate business development executives, prospective customers and partners, bloggers and media.
Although the event is not focused on 'Green' technologies, Cleantech solutions may fall into most of the categories.
This year´s Launch: Silicon Valley will have a special World Cup Tech Challenge edition. Tech startups from all over the world will be able to apply and qualify for the 30 available launch spots within the 6 different tech categories:
- Digital Media
- FinTech (Financial Technology)
- EdTech (Education Technology)
- Next Gen Technology (Next Generation Technology)
- Enterprise Software
Each group has 5 spots available within the different tech categories.
- When: May 20th, 2014
- Where: Microsoft Campus, Mountain View, California
- Startup applications are here: http://www.launchsiliconvalley.org/registration-info/
- Attendees Registration/Tickets: http://www.launchsiliconvalley.org/tickets/