Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Hammerhead shark kayaker: 11-foot hammerhead shark takes kayaker on 2-hour ride

The hammerhead shark and kayaker showdown on Sunday was captured on video by the kayaker’s head-mounted camera and includes some underwater images of the hammerhead shark. Since 22-year-old kayaker Adam Fisk was concerned about the battery life of the camera, he only captured about six minutes of the two-hour ride, according to a March 27, The Palm Beach Post report.

Hammerhead shark kayaker: 11-foot hammerhead shark takes kayaker on 2-hour ride
Adam Fisk

“I’ve hooked sharks, but not that big and never on purpose,” Fisk told The Palm Beach Post. “It was about 11-foot and my kayak is about 12.”

On Sunday, Fisk, who is a Florida Atlantic University student, went out in his kayak for a fishing trip near Boynton Beach in Florida.

When the 11-foot hammerhead shark went after a piece of his fishing bait and got snagged on a small hook, the shark took control of the kayak and for the next two hours, Fisk was taken on what he called a “Florida-style sleigh ride” from the Boynton Inlet to Lake Worth.

During the six-minute video of Fisk’s experience of being pulled by the shark, one can hear him at times saying “Oh crab,” as the 22-year-old is trying to maneuver his fishing poles. And as if one hammerhead shark wasn’t enough, a second one accompanied the duo but disappeared after about 10 minutes.

In describing his experience, Fisk is saying that he was concerned about the hammerhead shark turning towards him. “I was nervous whenever the line went slack," he said. "I figured it was coming straight for me." At times, “it would do a 180-degree turn and come straight back at me and that rally scared me because I couldn't see it and I didn't know if it was coming to bite me.”

The hammerhead shark and kayaker ride ended when Fisk finally cut the fishing line. While Fisk’s Team Rebel Fishing buddies (who like to post a variety of “extreme shark fishing” videos on YouTube) were impressed by the two-hour ride, John Carlson, a research biologist with NOAA Fisheries, had something else to say. “For animals that fought over 85 minutes, all those animals died. I’m sure he [Fisk] had the best intentions in mind … but I would predict the animal was stressed out. For what? Two hours. That’s quite a long time, especially for a species like a hammerhead that has to swim to breathe.”

Report this ad