I just moved into my own space after having had roommates for the last several years. Naturally, I've had to christen my new place by trying out all sorts of comfort food recipes like the new-to-me ham, macaroni, and cheese casserole that I stumbled upon.
This easy macaroni casserole combines some tasty ham bits, mushroom soup, bell pepper, and cheddar cheese. This baked mac and cheese with ham recipe is a yummy way to use up some of those ham leftovers we all wind up having in the fridge after the holidays and during the summer picnic season.
Ham, macaroni, and cheese casserole recipe
- 1 c. diced ham
- 1/4 c. bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 c. onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp chopped pimiento
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 8 oz of macaroni, uncooked
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the box, then drain it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Saute together the onions and bell peppers in a skillet with a tablespoon of butter. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the leftover ham, and then allow the mixture to continue to cook until the ingredients are heated all the way through.
- Pour the ingredients into the greased casserole dish minus the cheese.
- Bake the ingredients together for 30 minutes, until the mixture bubbles.
- Add in the cheese and bake until the cheese melts.
- Experiment with different kinds of cheese like Swiss or American to get a slightly different flavor.
- Make the recipe a little healthier by stir frying the onions and bell peppers and adding some steamed vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower.
Read other recipes and food-related articles by the Boise Food Examiner by clicking on the links in the sentences below:
- Sweet popcorn recipe to make as a pre-game snack; Super bowl prep ideas
- World Chocolate Wonderland in Shanghai kicks off with chocolate fashions
- Baked potato bar ideas: Finding the right toppings for your spuds
- Homemade chocolate truffle recipe: Easy to make, delicious to eat! (Video)
- Delicious soup recipes: Italian sausage soup with pasta