Ham and potato bake Photograph by Jonathon Weber
It is a week night and you need something fast, simple and affordable to cook. A ham and potato bake is just what you need. This is a good way to use up left over ham that you have from a previous meal. This meal can be made for under $10, and it will feed you and your better half very well.
What you need:
8-10 potatoes (Idaho or golden).
1 lb. ham steak or small ham chunk (to save even more time you can buy already diced ham but this will cost you more.
12 oz. shredded cheese (we mix cheddar and Colby jack).
2 cups milk.
1 cup cream or half and half.
1 tbsp butter or Smart Balance spread.
3 tbsp flour.
1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
Step by step:
- Start off by peeling and cutting up your potatoes. You want them small enough to cook somewhat fast.
- Now cut up the ham if is not dices already.
- Dice up the onion.
- Next you will make the cheese sauce. Start by melting the butter in a saucepan, and then add the flour till pasty. Now add the milk and thicken it up. Salt and pepper to taste. Now add your cheese and melt thoroughly.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the ham mixture and stir it all together.
- Top with bread crumbs for a slight crunch on top.
- Place in oven at 375 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half.
- Serve and be careful, it is HOT.
For an extra bang, add in some green peppers. To see more food and photography please visit www.jwphotography.webs.com