Ham and eggs for breakfast is very much an American breakfast tradition. I didn't realize this until I lived in Germany for awhile. I tried hard to come up with other breakfast food ideas besides this dynamic duo as Germans tend to eat morning meals which consist of breads with cold cuts and butter or rolls for their morning meal. And while I could have just bought some eggs and ham to make myself for breakfast, I opted to try to eat as the Germans eat since I was there having my living abroad experience.
I adapted and even thrived in my new environment and new way of eating, but I can't lie. I was very happy when I stayed at a hotel that actually served a breakfast buffet, which included ham, eggs, and sausage. And the deprivation I felt from not having these breakfast staples each morning made me dream of (and search the Internet for) all sorts of breakfast ideas with eggs that I couldn't wait to try when I got back home to the States.
One of the recipes I found was a variation on the bread and egg casserole. Like the dish that my mom used to make it had eggs, cheese, ham, and other breakfast delicacies. However, this particular recipe for breakfast casserole with ham and eggs used a batter instead of ready-made bread. Serve it with juice, coffee, and cinnamon rolls or toast to get this traditional morning meal off to a good start.
Ham and Egg Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 c. of all-purpose flour
- 2 packets of rapid-rise yeast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. very warm water
- 3 Tbsp. corn oil
Eggs and Ham Mixture:
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, finely ground
- 4 slices or 3/4 oz. cheese (You can use American, Swiss, Provolone, etc.)
- 1 c. ham, diced
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, grated
- Spray an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with the cooking spray.
- Mix the bread batter ingredients together in the dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, pepper, and garlic salt, beating the mixture until it's well blended.
- Add the diced ham, cheese slices, and egg mixture to the top of the bread batter.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of this.
- Put it into the oven; do not preheat the oven.
- Bake it at 350 degrees for about a half hour.
- For a tangier version of this ham and egg breakfast casserole recipe, use Pepper Jack cheese or try sharp cheddar instead of mild.
- If you're in a real hurry, substitute a bread and egg casserole recipe that calls for bread pieces for the bread batter.
- Dress up this dish by adding fresh ingredients like mushrooms, green peppers, and celery.
Try other comfort food recipes by clicking on the links below:
- How to make homemade cinnamon rolls (Video)
- Sweet popcorn recipe to make as a pre-game snack; Super bowl prep ideas
- Delicious chocolate desserts: Cereal snack bars with chocolate chips
- Homemade chocolate truffle recipe: Easy to make, delicious to eat! (Video)
- Christmas ham leftovers recipes: Top 7 dishes to do away with your ham extras (Video)
- 5 best chocolate recipes from the web plus chocolate news 12.10.12 (Video)
- Peanut butter chocolate muffins: Unusual muffin recipes
- Enchilada soup: An easy, but hearty winter soup with chicken, cheese, and rice