It is a hot and humid weekend in Boston. No one wants to cook (or eat) a hot or hearty meal. That said, it looks like a salad or sandwich is the meal of choice for dinner tonight. A classic ham and cheese sandwich can be turned up a notch by changing the standard bread choice and adding a little fruit. Throw it in the skillet and make it a melt. Yum! Read on...
Ham and cheese melt on raisin bread
- 8 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 4 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 pound deli-style baked ham
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
- Spread each slice of bread with margarine or butter.
- Spread honey mustard on unbuttered side of bread.
- Place 4 slices of bread, butter side-down, in skillet.
- Layer the 4 slices of bread with ham, apple and Brie cheese.
- Top with remaining slices of bread.
- Cook, flipping as needed, until cheese is melted and sandwiches are golden brown.