As summer heats up, ‘Star Wars’ fans often can’t help but look forward to one of our favorite times of year: Christmas. Christmas time is a treasured time for ‘Star Wars’ fans, and usually have fond memories of unwrapping toys from their favorite galaxy far, far away as children. ‘Star Wars’ ornaments have also been a staple of the fandom over the years as well. Adhering to the belief that it’s never too early to be thinking about the holidays, Star Wars and Hallmark released an exciting announcement last Friday.
Posted on the official ‘Star Wars’ website, which just got an amazing overhaul that you should check out, we get an early sneak peak at brand new ornaments coming to Hallmark this fall. Here is the summary from the announcement:
- The Rise of Lord Vader, depicting the moment of Anakin Skywalker’s complete transformation into Darth Vader as seen in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. This ornament plays dialogue from this memorable scene in the sixth Star Wars film. The battery-operated ornament is 4 7/8” high and is priced at $19.95 with batteries included.
- Scout Trooper, which marks the 18th design in Keepsake Ornament’s official Star Wars series. Complete with his signature blaster pistol, this specialized Imperial soldier as seen in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi is 4 3/8” high and sells for $17.95.
- Sandcrawler, the large treaded vehicle used by Jawas on Tatooine in Star Wars: A New Hope. The ornament features dialogue from droids C-3PO and R2-D2 as heard in the film. This battery-operated ornament is 4 1/8” long and sells for $29.95 with batteries included.
- Cantina Band, featuring four members of the all-Bith musical group as it appeared in Star Wars: A New Hope. The ornament, which plays the band’s signature tune, is 4 1/2” high and sells for $34.95.
- Boba Fett, as depicted in LEGO Star Wars toys and games. This version of the feared bounty hunter stands 3 5/8” high on a LEGO brick base and sells for $14.95.
- One additional Star Wars ornament will be available in Hallmark Gold Crown stores in October: Yoda Peekbuster features the wizened Jedi Master dressed as Santa Claus standing vigilantly to protect Christmas presents from prying eyes. When the ornament detects motion near it, Yoda sounds out with warnings as only he can speak them. The Peekbuster ornament is 3 ½” high and sells for $19.95 with batteries included.
It’s always exciting to see new merchandise being released for ‘Star Wars,’ but Hallmark is renowned for putting out high quality products. Most of these ornaments, with the exception of “The Rise of Darth Vader,” all harken back to the “Original Trilogy” era. This seems to be a consistent trend with ‘Star Wars’ and its licensees since Disney took over in 2012. There seems to be a trend and coordinated effort by Disney to reintroduce fans to the classic films. It especially makes sense when you consider the upcoming “Sequel Trilogy” will rely of the audience having a knowledge of the events of the “Original Trilogy.” Some have noted that there is now a whole generation of ‘Star Wars’ fans that have never seen the “Original Trilogy” and instead grew up watching ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars.’ Either way, these are very beautifully designed ornaments and fans can expect superb quality products.
Make sure to check out the official press release on the official ‘Star Wars’ website, here. You can actually find these ornaments at Hallmark now, in some locations. Check out their online catalog or find a store near you, here. What are your thoughts about these new ornaments? Which is your favorite (I'm partial to the “Yoda Peekbuster”)? Share your thoughts with me online on Twitter. We can be found at @arybak89 (Alex Rybak).