It leaves an acrid taste on the tongue. Imagining celebrity hash slinger/taster Guy Fieri as a vintner thoughtfully gargling his latest cabernet-merlot blend is like imagining Fieri in a toque blanche. Yet New York’s Daily News carries word of a report from a California paper, which on Monday officially noted: The stocky hipster, he of blond spikes and bling, has bought a five-acre vineyard of Pinot Noir grapes in Sonoma County.
Fieri said of the new endeavor:
Ever since I moved to Sonoma County and saw all this incredible environment of wine, from the agricultural side of it to the business side of it, to the community involvement side of it ... I've just been in awe. So my wife and I were talking about it, and saying, ‘Can we do that some day?'
Some day is now – and the food community has responded as expected. The blog Eater wrote, "Who's in the wine business now? Guy Fieri. Sorry."
So what does the star of Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” intend to call the vineyard? Chateau Off the Hook doesn’t quite have the requisite ring for a serious winery. Fieri seems to have been aware of that himself, which is perhaps why he selected “Hunt and Ryde,” an amalgam of the names of his sons, Hunter and Ryder. Sounds a little like “hunt and peck,” but beggars – even fabulously rich beggars – can’t be choosers.
In fairness to Fieri, the wine industry has let its hair down in recent years, projecting a more casual image than it used to during its stuffy raised-pinky past. His brand might do fine, although cynics can’t help but note that one of his catch phrases – “out of bounds” – might be a pithy omen of the fate of his new venture.
- Celebrity chef Guy Fieri ready to move on from scathing NY Times review
- Guy Fieri locked in a bitter custody dispute
- Celeb chef Guy Fieri now earning $100K for personal appearances (Photos)
- Celeb man-child Guy Fieri settles on a different “sweet ride”
- Celebrity chef Guy Fieri's Lamborghini is stolen
- Anthony Bourdain’s fantasy: Performing sex acts on former VP Cheney
- Batali settles lawsuit over stealing tips to tune of $5.25 million
- Paula Deen sued for sexual harassment and racism
- Paula Deen, personal health, and personal responsibility
- TV cooking celeb Paula Deen reveals she has type 2 diabetes
- Food fight: Anthony Bourdain and Paula Deen do battle
- Does watching cooking shows on TV make you fat?
- What's Anthony Bourdain's problem (with food bloggers)?
- Food porn redux: The 2010 Xtreme Eating Awards
- Mario Batali, Anthony Bourdain, other celeb chefs to appear on ‘The Simpsons