Fresh off a scathing review of his Times Square restaurant by New York Times food critic Pete Wells, food world mega-celebrity Guy Fieri is back for another round of beat-downs with his newest venture, Guy Fieri on Campus.
The website GuyFieriDotKom reports that the Food Network star “swung by Montclair State University on December 5 to rub elbows with students” at “the first of what will be a chain of fast casual restaurants on college campuses.”
So what can students expect? Here is Bergen Record restaurant reviewer Elisa Ung’s bottom line:
Would I eat here again without being ravenous and unable to obtain any other kind of food? No.
Would I recommend any of the dishes – except for the meaty, saucy bourbon BBQ wings? No.
Am I a college student? No. Therefore, my opinion really counts for very little here.
Ung may underestimate young people’s capacity for weeding out food that a less-charitable Eater.com report dismissed in its headline as “nauseating' & 'Distressing.” Of course, the Eater writer also referred to Fieri as an “animatronic bobble head,” so perhaps take the write-up with a grain of salt. (Or, based on Wells’ review of Guy's American Kitchen & Bar, maybe an Alka-Seltzer chaser.)
- Celeb chef Guy Fieri now earning $100K for personal appearances (Photos)
- Guy Fieri locked in a bitter custody dispute
- Celebrity chef Guy Fieri ready to move on from scathing NY Times review
- Celeb man-child Guy Fieri settles on a different “sweet ride”
- Celebrity chef Guy Fieri's Lamborghini is stolen