NATIONAL (BTSNews) -- Today, the national debate regarding gun control continues, focusing on the mass killings in Newport, Connecticut. The Obama Administration is expected to announce proposals for gun control legislation by Tuesday, next week. The proposals are anticipated to ban assault weapons, high capacity magazines and require comprehensive background checks for all gun sales.
BUT BEHIND THE SCENES, our daily review of gun violence in America shows that assault weapons bans, high capacity magazines bans and background checks are likely to do little to prevent the ongoing problem of gun-related violence.
In the over 30 separate shootings resulting in deaths, maimings and injuries across America since Friday, not one incident is alleged to involve an assault weapon or high capacity magazine. Regarding background checks, most of the shootings occurred in states and cities – such as California and Chicago – with strict gun control laws that prohibited any possession or use of the handguns used. This would seem to indicate that background checks are not an effective means to keep guns out of the hands of persons who should not possess them.
The Administration's current push for gun control, which appears to be largely a reaction to the Newtown shooting, ignores the ongoing -- but mainly unreported -- gun-related violence occurring each day. A different approach, it would seem, is needed to keep our streets and schools safe.
The reported shootings since Friday are as follows:
1. Atlanta, Georgia – A newly recruited police officer was shot in the face by a 20-year-old assailant during a foot chase Friday night. The maimed officer has been hospitalized in stable condition and the assailant has been taken into custody.
2. Denver, Colorado – Police found a woman fatally shot in her home late Friday night. A suspect had been taken into custody and charged with first degree murder. Police are investigating possible motives for the shooting.
3. Boston, Massachusetts – A 13-year-old boy was shot while walking to church Friday evening and found laying in the street by police. The 13 year-old is in critical condition and no suspects have been identified by police.
4. Sacramento, California – Police responding to a collision between two vehicles found a 20-year-old female shot to death in one of the vehicles. Police have no suspects although the drivers of both vehicles have been detained for questioning.
5. Chicago, Illinois – Six teenagers and one adult were shot Friday in Chicago: A 14 year-old boy was shot multiple times in the chest by two unknown assailants Friday evening; A 15 year-old boy was shot and killed by an unknown male Friday evening; Two boys, 16 and 17 years-old, were shot and wounded by an unknown assailant Friday evening; A 17-year-old male suffered a wound to the chest on Friday afternoon; a 17 year-old boy was shot and wounded Friday afternoon; and a 19 year-old man was shot and wounded Friday afternoon. No arrests have been made in any of these Chicago shootings.
6. San Antonio, Texas – A man was shot and wounded Friday night while driving his car. Police say nearly a dozen shots were fired. A passenger in the car was not injured. Neither the driver nor the passenger are cooperating with the investigation and police have no suspects.
7. Baltimore, Maryland – Three persons died and one was wounded on Friday and Saturday in Baltimore: An 18 year-old man in a residential home was shot in the chest and killed Friday evening; a 21-year-old male was shot multiple times in a residential home and killed Friday night; A man was found dead in a vehicle riddled with bullet holes early Saturday morning, with multiple bullet wounds to the chest and upper torso, while another man found at the scene was shot in the legs and is expected to survive. Police have no suspects.
8. Affton, Missouri – A man chased down and shot a man with a shotgun for stealing copper pipes from the back of the shooter’s truck Friday night. Police say the robber was hospitalized and is expected to survive. Charges against the property owner are pending.
9. Houston, Texas – An armed man threatened an off-duty police officer with a gun early Saturday morning, then threatened uniformed officers responding to the scene with a gun. The man was shot multiple times by police but is expected to survive. No officers were hurt in the shooting.
10. San Marcos, California – A movie theater employee was shot by a stray bullet Friday night. The victim is expected to survive. Police have no suspects or motive for the shooting.
11. Detroit, Michigan – A 16 year-old high school basketball player was shot after a game. The victim is expected to survive. Although there were several witnesses, no arrests have been made.
12. College Hill, Cincinnati – Two men, both aged 27, were shot in the legs Friday night during an fight outside a bar. The victims are expected to survive, but no arrests have been made.
13. Oakland, California – On Friday, four victims died in four separate shooting incidents in Oakland. All four shootings took place within six hours of each other, starting Friday afternoon. Each of the victims were male. No suspects have been identified and no arrests have been made in any of the shootings.
14. Baltimore, Maryland – A woman was shot Friday evening near Franklin Square Elementary School. She is expected to survive. Police have no suspects.
15. St. Paul, Minnesota - A man was shot and killed Friday night in a West St. Paul driveway. Police have no suspects.
16. Decatur, Georgia – A police detective was shot and wounded in the leg during a raid on a drug house early Friday. The assailant, who was known to have a semi-automatic pistol, fired one shot through the door of the raided home, striking the officer. The officer is in stable condition and the suspect was arrested with no shots fired by police.
17. Sacramento, California – A woman was shot Friday night while resisting a man who was trying to steal her purse. The victim, who was struck in the arm and chest, is in stable condition and is expected to survive. Police have no suspects in the shooting.
18. Sausalito, California - A 17-year-old northern California boy was shot dead in his parent’s home Friday morning in what relatives are calling a case of mistaken identity.
19. Cleveland, Ohio – An unidentified woman was found shot and wounded early Saturday morning. Police have no suspects or motive for the shooting.
20. Inkster, Michigan -- A man was found dead in his car Friday night after firing shots into the Inkster police station. No one was hurt in the station. The suspect fled the area but was found dead in his car of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
21. Fairborn, Ohio – A man was shot and seriously wounded by an armed man Friday night. Police have identified the shooter and have issued a warrant for his arrest.
22. Spokane, Washington – Two men were shot and wounded early Friday morning. The victims were hospitalized in critical condition and are expected to survive. Police have no suspects.
23. Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania – The four men robbed, assaulted and shot a man multiple times Friday night. Police are looking for the suspects and the victim is expected to survive.
24. Syracuse, New York – A 24 year-old was shot in the thigh Friday afternoon. The victim was uncooperative with the police, who have no suspects.
25. Columbia, South Carolina – Two people were shot inside a strip club early Saturday morning. The victims are expected to survive and police are searching for the gunman.
26. Champaign, Illinois – A 20 year-old woman was accidentally shot and killed by her boyfriend in a motel Friday morning. The shooter accidentally discharged a round while improperly handling a handgun.
27. Norfolk, Virginia – A 21 year-old man was shot and killed Friday night by random gunfire. Another man near the victim was shot and injured, and was hospitalized in critical condition. Police have no suspects or motive for the shootings.
28. San Francisco, California – A man was shot and wounded early Saturday morning. The victim was hospitalized in stable condition. Police have no suspects in connection with the shooting.
29. San Marcos, California – A woman was shot and wounded while in a movie theater Friday night. Police believe the shot was fired from outside the theater. Police have no suspects and no motive for the shooting.
30. Columbus, Ohio -- A man allegedly shot his brother twice during an argument Friday night. The victim was hospitalized and is in stable condition. The shooter had been arrested and charged with felonious assault.
If you like this article, please share it below with family and friends.
Please click on the "SUBSCRIBE" button above for cutting-edge BTSMedia articles via email.
To become a writer for Examiner.com, please click here - http://exm.nr/VH0VQ8.
Behind the Scenes News (BTSNews) is a copyright of Anthony Jay Blackwell