As opposed to the popular American belief, a dessert is not really meant to be a fat attack on a plate. There is nothing wrong with an occasional celebration of our world famous 3- Pound Cheesecake or the yumminess of some pastry wrapped in whipped cream, but for the most part a dessert is meant to be a sweet way to end your meal and not send you to Weight Watchers via an ambulance!
When you traverse the islands which make up Indonesia you not only come across some wonderful dining experiences, you also encounter some of the finest natural desserts in the world. Indonesian's utilize their natural resources in all of their culinary treasures and a perfect example of this is Indonesian Banana Cake.
This is one of the moistest cakes you will ever slip into your mouth. It is laden with banana's and coconut milk and held together with eggs. There is no flour in this cake. This type of dessert is very uncommon for most American's so as you are preparing it, you might feel something is not going right. Follow the direction and everything will turn out perfectly. This will not be your usual cake batter!
Ingredients needed to make Indonesian Banana Cake (makes 1 cake):
- 1 pound bananas, peeled and mashed
- 6 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Line the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk the mashed bananas and the eggs until smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar, coconut milk and vanilla until you have a batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Place in oven and bake 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let cool on a rack.
** Inside Google calls Chef Larry Edwards "quite possibly the most popular Chef in the world" and now you can find out what Chef Larry Edwards has coming up in the kitchen, on the road, in the restaurants and in the media by joining him on Facebook where the Chef's snarky personality and often controversial comments are always sure to cause a stir!