This could seriously be the best movie soundtrack since “Pulp Fiction.” The August 1 release of “Guardians of the Galaxy” has everyone talking about an eclectic ensemble cast that includes Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper and Glenn Close. (Oh, and a raccoon named Rocket.) But the movie’s biggest star could actually be the music.
On Friday, Huff Post Canada put together a nifty compilation of all of the classic tunes featured in the campy sci-fi flick, and it’s a total ‘70s flashback. The songs on the soundtrack include Blue Swede’s “Hooked on a Feeling,” “I’m Not in Love” by 10cc, Redbone’s “Come and Get Your Love,” and “Cherry Bomb,” from Joan Jett’s teen band, The Runaways. There’s also the obligatory “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” the feel good song featured in everything from “Remember the Titans” to the Julia Roberts tearjerker, “Stepmom.” In this case, we welcome the encore.
Because this definitely isn’t some random group sing-a-long soundtrack. According to Marvel.com, music plays a major role in the fantasy flick, and the 1970s songs featured in the film are part of the storyline in a big way. So it’s safe to say the song selections were carefully thought out.
“One of the main story points in the movie is that Quill [Pratt] has this compilation tape [Awesome Mix Vol. 1] that he got from his mother before she died that she made for him,” director James Gunn revealed. “It was of songs that she loved, all songs from the 1970s, and that’s the only thing he has left of his mother and that’s the only thing he has left of his home on Earth. He uses that as a connection to his past and to the sadness that he feels of having left all that and lost all that.”
In addition to the old school songs featured in the movie, composer Tyler Bates painstakingly composed a score for the movie, and he did it before scenes were filmed. (This is opposite of the usual scoring process in which the composer is brought in during post-production.) Bates told Hitfix that the compositions he created for the “Galaxy” soundtrack, which is out now on Hollywood Records, cover a vast musical terrain. He even calls it his “most demanding score.”
Here’s a list of the ‘70s songs on the “Guardians of the Galaxy” soundtrack:
1. “Hooked on a Feeling” Performed by Blue Swede
2. “Go All the Way” Performed by Raspberries
3. “Spirit in the Sky” Performed by Norman Greenbaum (this song is not in the movie)
4. “Moonage Daydream” Performed by David Bowie
5. “Fooled Around and Fell in Love” Performed by Elvin Bishop
6. “I’m Not in Love” Performed by 10cc
7. “I Want You Back” Performed by Jackson 5
8. “Come and Get Your Love” Performed by Redbone
9. “Cherry Bomb” Performed by The Runaways
10. “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)” Performed by Rupert Holmes
11. “O-O-H Child” Performed by The Five Stairsteps
12. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” Performed by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
“Guardians of the Galaxy” can be seen in theaters nationwide starting this weekend.