Famitsu has revealed the top ten 2013 best-selling video games list in Japan. According to a report form Just Push Start on Jan. 19, the combined sales of “Pokemon X” and “Pokemon Y” barely edged out “Monster Hunter 4.”
The sixth-generation of the “Pokemon” series has the benefit of being released in two variations. “Pokemon X” and “Pokemon Y” include different sets of exclusive pocket monsters, encouraging players to trade with one another.
The other notable video game on the list is “GTA 5,” which ended up being the best-selling console game. Furthermore, it is the only title on the list to not be released on Nintendo platforms. You can check out a few screenshots from the latest “Grand Theft Auto” installment in the slideshow to the left of this article and the full list below (courtesy of Just Push Start):
- Pokemon X / Y – 3,976,829
- Monster Hunter 4 – 3,923,312
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 1,730,182
- Friend Collection: New Life – 1,580,067
- Dragon Quest VII Remake – 1,227,377
- Puzzles and Dragons Z – 1,005,697
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 982,737
- Grand Theft Auto V – 605,882
- New Super Mario Bros. U – 584,479 (including bundles)
- Wii Party U – 518,776 (including bundles)
Although “Pokemon X” and “Pokemon Y” sold better in Japan, “GTA 5” appears to be more popular worldwide. The open-world action-adventure video was declared the fastest-selling entertainment product in history when it was released on Sept. 17th in 2013. The Japanese release for “GTA 5” did not come out until nearly a month later on Oct. 10th.
“Pokemon X” and “Pokemon Y” were released on Oct. 12th exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS handheld platform in Japan, North America and other regions.