On Tuesday, Guinness World Records announced that Rockstar Games' latest title "Grand Theft Auto V" has recently broken seven world records since its release on September 17. Within the first 24 hours of launch, the open-world crime game sold over 11 million copies and became the highest grossing video game. In addition, the title grossed $1 billion in revenue in just three days. Previous record holders were blockbuster movies "The Avengers" and "Avatar" along with video game series "Call of Duty."
Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I'm also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book,” said Guinness World Records editor-in-chief Craig Glenday in a statement.
The full list of records claimed by Grand Theft Auto V:
1. Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
2. Best-selling video game in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
Developed by Rockstar North and published by Rockstar Games, "Grand Theft Auto V" is an open-world action game that follows up to one of the biggest-selling games in history and is the first major title since "Grand Theft Auto IV" back in 2008. Set in the fictional city of Los Santos, "GTA 5" is the first to feature three playable protagonist as they work together to accomplish their objectives. For more information fans can visit the "Grand Theft Auto 5" website.