Sometimes it’s tough to stay motivated and keep up with a regular training schedule. Long runs can be especially hard running alone. Fortunately at the Jersey Shore there are many group runs at various locations throughout Monmouth and Ocean County.
The group runs are a great way to hook up with fellow runners and socialize during and after the run. When you know you have friends to meet up to run it’s a little easier to get out the door early in the morning.
Here are the regular group runs that are set up by the Jersey Shore Running Club.
Sunday - 8 a.m. in Middletown 6 - 20 Miles – The group meets at Bodman Park in Middletown, N.J.. This is a long standing run of over 25 years with a great history and many notable area runners have participated. It’s a great course through the back roads in the Navesink section of Middletown where you will hardly ever see a car. There are also some nice trails through Huber Woods and Hearthshorne Woods included in the many routes. Many runners use this run when training for their fall or spring marathons. It includes some challenging hills. The club puts out water stops every few miles and there are always post run refreshments at the Club House after the run.
Tuesday, 6 PM, Group Run in Long Branch, 4 - 6 Miles, Windmill across from Seven Presidents Park –4 mile run to the end of the Long Branch Boardwalk or some extend it to 6 miles by going around Lake Takanassee.
Thursday, 6 PM, Group Run in Belmar - 5 - 7 Miles, Meet at Bar Anticipation in Lake Como on 16th Avenue. This is a very popular run all year round with 30 or so participants generally meeting every week. You can run to the end of the Spring Lake Boardwalk or go around into Sea Girt for a longer run of about 8 miles. There are also several beginner runners who go 3 to 4 miles. And hand around with the group after the run for some post run refreshments at one of the many local establishments. Photos
Updates are always on the JSRC Web Site.
The Ocean Running Club also schedules group runs at various locations mainly in Ocean County
The Freehold Area Running Club also has group runs at various locations in western Monmouth County in the Freehold area.
Some other group runs include:
- Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. RVRR Group Run, Highland Park, N.J.
- Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. South Jersey Running Club Group Run, Haddonfield Running Co, Haddonfield,N.J.
- Saturday, 9 a.m., RVRR Group Run, Johnson Park, Piscataway, N.J.
- Saturday, Rose City Runners Group Run, Morris Township, N.J.
- Saturday, 9 a.m. Clifton Road Runners, 70 Railroad Ave, Rochelle Park, New Jersey
- Sunday, 9 a.m. Clifton Road Runners, 720 E. Palisade Ave, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Sunday, 7:30 a.m., South Jersey Running Club Group Run, Haddonfield Running Co, Haddonfield, N.J.
- Monday, Runner’s High, Freehold, N.J.
- Thursday, Runner’s High, Metuchen, N.J.