When it comes to holidays, February 2nd is the one day of the year to go hog wild! It's Groundhog Day, an annual event that has millions around the world asking the age old question - will he or wont he?
Each year, folks anxiously await as a very special, weather-predicting groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil, emerges from his warm and cozy burrow on Gobbler's Knob in Pennsylvania. If Phil doesn't see his shadow, spring will be right around the corner. But if he spots his shadow, there will be six more long and dreary weeks of winter weather. And just for the record, Phil has been predicting the weather since the late 1800s with 100 percent accuracy despite the fact he holds no college degree and isn't "technically" considered a meteorologist.
Many school children across the nation learn all about the famous groundhog, also referred to as woodchucks, ground squirrels or marmots, in anticipation of the annual event. Groundhogs are one of the few animals that actually hibernate. They also whistle when they are frightened or alarmed. While most "average" groundhogs live up to eight years, Punxsutawney Phil drinks a secret magical punch during the annual summer-time Groundhog Picnic which gives him seven more years of life.
In honor of Groundhog Day, why not gather up the kids and try one or two of the activities or craft ideas listed below?
Free Groundhog Day Activities & Crafts for Children
- Groundhog Finger Puppet - In a word - adorable!
- Pop-up Groundhog Puppet - Kids will love making this simple pop-up puppet. All you need are craft or popsicle sticks, paper cups, brown construction paper, glue, crayons or markers and googly eyes.
- Zzzz Sleeping Groundhog Craft - About.com Guide Sherri Osborn shares this craft idea that calls for egg carton cups, cellophane tape, paint, felt, pom-poms, markers and yarn or string.
- Peek-a-boo Groundhog Project - This groundhog activity takes just minutes to create.
- Punxsutawney Phil Portrait - This fun artistic project calls for colored felt, cardboard, white paper, white craft glue, green chenille stems and wiggle eyes. Templates are included.
- Groundhog Craft - Make this adorable craft out of triangle shapes.
- Paper Plate Groundhogs - You'll need paper plates, brown acrylic paint, wiggly eyes, black markers, craft knife, toothpicks and templates for this craft.
- Handprint Groundhog Craft - This project requires homemade puffy paint made out of shaving cream and white glue, paper, paint and a hand!
- Groundhog Day Coloring Pages, Posters and Tracer Pages - Just select the project of your choice, print and color.
- Love to color? Check out these six groundhog coloring pages from Lil Fingers or 15 designs from Coloring. ws.
- Groundhog Day Puzzle - Try your hand at this free downloadable crossword puzzle.
- Play this Groundhog Concentration Game online and find out just how good your memory really is.
- Ever wondered what groundhogs sound like?
- In the mood for a sweet treat to eat? Check out this recipe for Groundhog Cookies.
- Groundhog Cupcakes - Speaking of sweet treats, check out these cute cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor and/or the folks at Spoonful.
- Send a free Groundhog Day electronic greeting card to friends and family.
In case you can't be there in person, be sure to watch the event unfold live via the Groundhog Day Webcast.
And speaking of holidays, Super Bowl Sunday is right around the corner!
- Watch the Best Super Bowl Ads of All Time: Top 17 Super Bowl Commercials
- Super Simple Super Bowl Fudge – The best 2 ingredient fudge recipe around!
- Super Bowl Party Cocktails, Drinks and Punch Recipes for Super Bowl Sunday
- Super Bowl Party Recipes - Super Bowl sandwiches, appetizers and dips for Super Bowl Sunday