With Grocery Outlet, though, you really have to just find your way to the store. Not all advertised items are available. Be sure to remember your Grocery Outlet coupons, though. They’re only good through Feb. 12. Didn’t get an ad? Download it and print out the coupons.
- One great find on there this week is Premium Pastures T-Bone Steaks for $5.39 a pound. Its not clear if these are actually grass fed steaks. If they are, it’s an absolute steal. If not, it’s still more than $1.50 less than Safeway or Fred Meyer’s offerings.
- There is also a coupon for $1 off Jiff Peanut Butter, meaning you can get 16 oz for only $1.99. Saars and Safeway can’t touch that.
- SunChef Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts coupon for $1 off makes them only $4.99 for for 3lbs. That’s about $1.65 a pound. Only Fed Meyer comes close with their boneless Chicken Breasts for $1.88 a pound when you buy 4 pounds or more.
After running through the Grocery Outlet on 4th Ave. in Seattle, I’d be sure to take a look through MacPherson's Fruit & Produce for some of the great ‘discount produce’ everyone is always raving about.
If heading to the Grocery Outlet in Burien, which is a personal favorite due to the size, I’d have to stop by Wayne's Fruits & Vegetables.
Getting your local produce from a fruit stand is beneficial in a lot of ways.
- First off, for your budget, they are usually cheaper.
- Second your are supporting your local economy by buying from the family who runs the business the suppliers that are most likely local as well.
- Third, most the time, these foods and produce don’t travel halfway around the world. This is better for the environment and for you. If a food has traveled a short distance, it hasn't spent a great deal of time refrigerated and lot nutrient value. Always ask, though. If you’re seeing blueberries in the dead of winter, they’re likely from Chile.
After heading to your fruit stand and discount store, it’s time to choose your local chain. My preference is Saar’s Marketplace. Their produce and meat prices can’t be beat.
- Beefsteak Tomatoes 88 cents a pound with coupon
- Pork boneless Sirloin $1.79 lb for 5 lbs or more
- Pork Butt Roast $1.29 for 5 lbs or more.
- Apples, variety of types with coupon 58 cents a pound
- 1 lb Strawberries or 6 oz Blueberries with coupon, $1.98.
Right now they’ve got some great specials on organic produce. They also have All-natural buffalo. Though neither are as budget friendly, if you prefer organic or natural alternatives, Fred Meyer’s might be a first stop for you. For more information on Why Bison(Buffalo), visit this site.
A few budget friendly highlights are:
- Chicken Breasts $1.88 a pound for 4 lbs or more.
- Dozen eggs 99 cents with coupon.
- Florida Natural Orange Juice, 2 for $4 with coupon
Safeway or QFC are you next option budge grocery shopping, and of course all those smaller shops in your community. If visiting Grocery Outlet, local fruit stands, Fred Meyer or Saar’s is just too far out of your way, don’t fret. Every store has its specials. Shop where it is worth your time, the price of gas and effort. Just always check your circular first, remember your card and coupons and only buy what you know you will cook, use and eat.